• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use relative file links in adobe illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! Please tell me how to force Illustrator to use relative file links instead of absolute ones? How is it implemented in InDesign. I now have to work on several computers and because of this I have problems with losing related files in my working layouts (ai). Because illustrator literally searches for: Users/Username/Docs/Work Folder/... And I need it to search for: .../Work Folder/... 

Also the problem is that in some cases the computer on which the working files are located acts as an external drive and the links are lost again ((( see screenshot

It is not possible to embed files in documents every time, because these linked files are used in many others working ai-files (and are in the process of correction, i.e. not in the final form) and in this case I simply do not have enough disk space due to the large file sizes.
And putting these related files in a folder with working ai-files is also impossible, because it will be a complete hodgepodge 🤦🏻‍:female_sign:

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open your AI file on another computer, ...

(A) + (B) then you can first ignore all links (as in InDesign).

(C) In Illustrator you can click on a missing graphic and click on "Linked File" in the upper left corner.

(D) Then click on the three lines for the fly out menu.

(E) Select "Relink ..." there.

(F) In the new window, check the "Link" box so that the files remain/become linked.

(G) Select the first graphic.

(H) And click on "Place" to relink the file.

Unlike InDesign, you have to select each missing file correctly, even if they are in the same folder. - Maybe you could solve this with a Javascript? -

The alternative is that you pack your project before closing Illustrator on a computer:

(1) To do this, call up the menu command "File > Package...".

(2) And in the new window, enter a storage location, name and options.

You can transfer the new folder to any other computer and then open the AI file there with all working links.

The second alternative is to upload the linked files to the Creative Cloud. Even then, the links remain intact when you change computers.

Good luck.
- j.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such a detailed answer!🤝) But I have known and used points A-H for a long time. The problem is that I have a lot of packaging layouts in illustrator and related files, so doing this procedure is extremely inefficient. All this would be solved simply if Adobe provided for the choice of absolute / relative links 🙏🏻
1) The first alternative is problematic with assembly due to the large number of product types (different sizes, etc.) in which there are links to the same linked files. And if I make a separate packages for each type, then there will be a lot of duplicate related files.
2) Using the cloud will also fail due to the amount of data.

It looks like there is only one way out – I will have to completely revise the hierarchy of my illustrator layouts and related files🙈 I will have to abandon the product folders and put them all in one folder (but this is terrible, I have about 80 such layouts and the result is a complete mess😱) and make a Links folder for all related files in it((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pershabs there is a solution with a javascript. I can check it, but it will take some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your participation)👍 I hope that it will be possible to make such a script, it can help many with a similar problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel your pain, Anga007! Unfortunately that's how it works. The only workaround I have seen is to have your linked files in the same folder with your working file, which just makes for complete mayhem.

There is a file linking tool, a separate app, called Willshouse Update Illustrator Linked Files, but it hasn't been updated in a really long time. I am not confident it will work with the latest versions of AICC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixing the relative paths for file links is essential for productive office workflow.  It is problematic when you work on the Illustrator file with another computer and have to manually update the file locations. 

My other software uses this feature effectively.  I highly recommend Adobe to provide a solution here.

Thanks...

Best Regards,<br />.<br /><p><strong>Joel Westervelt AIA</strong></p><a target="_blank" href="https://www.joelwesterveltarchitect.com" rel="nofollow"><em>Vernacular Architect</em></a><br /><a target="_blank" href="https://www.instagram.com/joelwesterveltarchitect" rel="nofollow">Instagram</a> | <a target="_blank" href="https://www.facebook.com/JoelWesterveltArchitect" rel="nofollow">Facebook</a><br />

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post feature requests to https://illustrator.uservoice.com

The developers don't read them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines