Customer sent in a 24-page book in Illustrator, and we had no issues with fonts when exported as PDF. Later some edits were requested, and we failed to notice that all hyphens turned into + signs. Customer is upset, and so far I don't have an answer.
Using Illustrator 26.5, font application is Connect by Suitcase.
Can you give us some more details? Like:
What kind of edits have been made?
Was there a change in the font itself, like: did you switch from T1 to OTF?
Were there switches from Mac to Windows?
Does Extensis have anything on this issue?
The font is Swiss BT, which Suitcase sees as Open Type - TT. What is confusing to me is we were made aware of issue yesterday. When file was opened yesterday, I saw all the + signs where hyphens should be. When I open file today, the reflow of text is different and there are no hyphens or + signs. No fonts were added or unloaded, so I'm not getting consistent results from day to day.
Have you confirmed that the font is permanently Active in the Extensis app? Dont let it auto activate when you open.
Working with Extensis for years - it's never been an easy plugin/system to work with. We're looking for alternatives as our contract is coming due.
I haven't been using font management since ATM has been EOL 😄
Thanks Kevin. That seems closest to the solution as anything we've found so far.
What we've experienced is if you have several "flavors" of a font family (OpenType, TrueType, T1, etc.)
Extensis causes conflicts not recognizing them as different font types. Example - Arial.
We ended up removing all other variations except for the OpenType version to avoid OT Regular autoactivating and TT Italic activating, etc.
We also came up with a core set of application fonts to permanently activate and then grouped project fonts in subsets as needed.
Without actual system info, screenshots, info about fonts used, language settings, PDF presets and all that jazz we honestly can't tell you much. To me this sounds like a language issue where an automatically inserted character changes depending on what the system is set to and/ or a font doesn't have the proper glyph, so it gets substituted. that would be the first two things to check.
This sounds like an encoding issue. Are you sure everyone is using the exact same font/format from the same source. These old Bitsream fonts are "all over the place" these days.