• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I believe I need to make a clipping mask with an outline?! please help

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design and technique I used before that uses consecutive horozontal lines over a "photo." I then use pathfinder to divide the photo and in the past i am able to ungroup and grab each part divided with the image staying behind the shape. I now want to do it again but the image is not sepperating only the bounding box is editable. Below im going to give an example of it correct and after ill show me trying now. I am novice on the computer and both my images are bouncing back and forth from illistrator and photoshop. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how you did it with the pathfinder, but I would do it this way:

Write down the dimensions of the image and drag the image to the Swatches panel to make it a pattern.

Delete the image.

Create a rectangle a the top left corner with the same size as the image and use Object > Path > Split Into Grid... to create the horizontal rectangles.

With all the rectangles selected, click the pattern in the Swatches panel to fill the rectangles.

Make sure that transform Pattern Tiles is checked in the Preferences (or any of the transform tools) to move the rectangles and the content..

image pattern.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually like this method much better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just note the image needs to be embedded to be able to be a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

I was reading this post and it looked interesting. I tried following your solution, but I can't get the placed image into the Swatches Panel. I originally tried it as a .jpg image and it didn't work. I resaved it in Photoshop as a .png and I still cannot drag it into the Swatches Panel. I am on Illustrator 25.4.1. Thanks for any assistance.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you embed the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see Lukas remark above? The image must be embedded first in the Illustrator file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed that response from Lukas right after I hit Post. Thanks, it worked!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking that you must have first converted the image into vectors, so maybe you used image trace on the image, then used the rectangles to divide that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines