Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want an odd number of repetitions of the pattern brush on a circle

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

When I apply a pattern brush to a circular path and alter the stroke width to change the appearance of the pattern brush to either increase (or decrease) the instances of the pattern brush on that path, there always seems to be an even number of instances. ( 8 10 12 etc etc)

Is there a way to specify that an odd number of instances are used? Is it something to do with the fact that there has to be a start tile and finish tile on the pattern brush?

I'm currently hand drafting the individual sections required and rotating/copying them to form a circular design when I need an odd number of instances. However, I'm certain there must be a way to use the pattern brush that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Any help greatly received! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Hi,

Just prior to your reply, I followed a very similar exercise and got the same results as you. Perplexed, I checked my brushes and discovered that I had misaligned the original artwork. Essentially by including 2 x repeats of my design (in the form of 1 whole instance and 2 half instances). Hence why all results were even.... 😫

Thanks for helping me to get my brain to work!

I'm off to hide in the corner....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you only keep the side tile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! 

Even with all other tiles set to none and with only the side tile showing the brush, the brush still generates in even increments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get:

patt brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just prior to your reply, I followed a very similar exercise and got the same results as you. Perplexed, I checked my brushes and discovered that I had misaligned the original artwork. Essentially by including 2 x repeats of my design (in the form of 1 whole instance and 2 half instances). Hence why all results were even.... 😫

Thanks for helping me to get my brain to work!

I'm off to hide in the corner....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you found the cause of your problem (no need to hide in a corner).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample Illustrator file with some of your pattern brushes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I checked my brushes and discovered that I had misaligned the original artwork. Essentially by including 2 x repeats of my design (in the form of 1 whole instance and 2 half instances). Hence why all results were even.... 

Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines