• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2019 - File Type Association (WIN) *Bug*?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I try I cannot change the default file type .ai to always open/be associated with Illustrator 2019.

The files always show up as blank icons and I have to now always right click and 'open with' and choose Illustrator 2019.

Bug with the new updated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Hi there,

All the users on this thread have a similar issue but not the same. Every situation here has a different fix.

XD defaulting to AI on Windows

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.

For other issues: Please try these steps to correct general File association errors: How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

If you have tried all of these t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People working in graphics should not be expected to play with Registry Keys to make a program work accordingly. Ask Adobe to do more testing before releasing and run beta programs like they used to. There was a reason why programs were updated so far apart - it was called testing. Now they shove out updates like this that a lot of folks automatically download. I for one don't have the time to download and test it before I put it into production. If they want to stay the industry standard then they need to act like they know what they are doing and not force feeding pos programming like this to everyone across the board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexderas

It's Work! Thank you!!!

Adobe, please, fix this horrible bug. We don´t pay 60€/month to change register manually.

Windows 10 Home

1803 17134.345

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It works for SVG & EPS files too

But I got the same problem with PSD files... Can you please tell me the value to fill in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.psd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS @alexderas and AnibaldelRosario!!!!

now it's working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! Changing the reg entry to Adobe.Illustrator.23 worked like a charm...I feel like Adobe owes you a proper salary...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the solution posted by  alexderas​  and it worked. The odd thing is that when I went back to regedit and checked this setting again, it still says 22 instead of 23, however, my .ai files are still opening in Illustrator - very odd.

BTW - my initial problem was that my default program for .ai  was not set, not that it was opening by default in another program.  All my file associations worked fine before I upgraded to the latest version a couple weeks ago.  I tried everything else first, including the obvious methods of setting the default program in Windows (I tried by right-clicking an .ai file and assigning it from there and by going to Windows Settings/Choose Default Apps By File Type),  as well as all the other registry edits suggested by Adobe in this thread.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator.  Nothing worked.  Changing this one value was the only one that worked.  I haven't tried using photoshop and accessing the .ai files, so I don't know if this fixes all the issues with accessing .ai files, but I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

This was alexderas's solution:  run regedit, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai and change the value of the Default Key from Adobe.Illustrator.22 to Adobe.Illustrator.23.  This is what I did and now my .ai files open in Illustrator instead of asking me what prog I should use to open them.  Once again, now, when I go look at this registry entry, it still says Adobe.Illustrator.22, however, my .ai files are still opening automatically in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexderas​

It worked!  This is how you fix and get the files to be associated with Illustrator 23!  Just in case others have not seen it, I will repost it below.  All the credit goes to Alexderas for figuring it out.  Thanks a bunch!

"Found an easy solution

Open the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai

The value of the Default key is Adobe.Illustrator.22. After chaning it to Adobe.Illustrator.23 and setting Illustrator as the default program the file association worked correctly."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both cc 2019 and cc 2014 illustrator. If I wanted to open with cc 2014, how should I change the value?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2014 is Illustrator 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. do you also know how to uninstall cc 2019? I tried with creative cloud cleaner but it does not seem to work with the new version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ass.tecnico

You would open up your Creative Cloud app, find Illustrator 23 and where it says "Open" there is a little arrow.  Once you click it a drop down menu appears.  Locate the "Manage" option and click it and it will show an "Uninstall" or "Install Other Versions" option.  Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexderas  schrieb

Found an easy solution

Open the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai

The value of the Default key is Adobe.Illustrator.22. After chaning it to Adobe.Illustrator.23 and setting Illustrator as the default program the file association worked correctly.

Does not work for me. I have no Adobe.Illustrator.22 entry in the first place, it has already been Adobe.Illustrator.23. I checked the values against others mentioned across the forums, but they are identical to those in the proposed solutions. I still cannot permanently associate .ai files with Illustrator 23.

Tonight's update did not fix the issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KE_Rafael This is because not everyone has the same problem.

The registry is a cobweb of entries made depending on the applications installed / removed.. and the order thereof.. so one's person fix may not be the next.

When you look at the ai file in File Explorer in 'Details' view (click tab 'View', then click 'Details'), what does the file say in the 'Type' column?

The answer to that will help you get your issue resolved.

Donovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Donovan+B  schrieb

When you look at the ai file in File Explorer in 'Details' view (click tab 'View', then click 'Details'), what does the file say in the 'Type' column?

It simply says "AI file" ("AI-Datei" in german).

Trickyd19  schrieb

Found it!

Followed the above, it was all correct.  The issue was in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai

The (Default) was set to Adobe.Illustrator.22

You change that to .23 (and check to make sure all the .23 goes where it's supposed to) and voila!

A-Ha! It finally worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too! Thank you... The files still show up as blanks (without the Ai lcon) but they open with Illustrator when I click on them... Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

easy fix. thankyoouuu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

I am running a Windows 10 Home edition and just updated to Illustrator 23.  I tried all the above tips and tricks to no avail.  The only thing that seemed to work was if I had both 23 and 22 installed at the same time.  But all this did was make the .ai files associate with ver. 22 instead of 23.  So, I just uninstalled 23 for now and will wait for patches to be released.  I would say that would be the best advice for now until Adobe can get their programs together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUICK FIX:

1.  UNINSTALL ADOBE XD.

2.  Open the file by clicking on it.

3.  A window will open asking you to associate the file type.

4.  Problem that should have never happened fixed.

5.  Wait for Adobe to get the ______ together and update XD accordingly before reinstalling.

6.  Politely request that Adobe do more testing on their apps before wreaking havoc on workflows everywhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figures... I install Adobe XD because I wanted to test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem on Windows 10, plus my saved Illustrator Workspace is gone 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend exporting your settings next time, it will save you lots of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can manage my Workspace, but how do I export them? Thank you for your help in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is assumed that the updates should not make you worry about the software ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I can recognise the files.

First uninstalling XD, then uninstalling Illustrator. After that, I install Illustrator again. All these steps through "Creative Cloud Manager" (Desktop APP).

Once you have Illustrator again, you can associate the type file again and it works. Through this way.

Good luck !!

What I ask myself now is ... Can I install XD again without have problems ?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines