• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2022 link image problem

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an Illustrator file that is using linked images I get a warning that it could not find the linked files and asking me to repair all the links one by one! The linked images sit in the same folder as the Illustrator file that uses them. This problem only happens when I restart the computer everytime.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can I do to fix my files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to embed all of the images into your document to do this open the links menu by navigating to Window>Links.
links within that menu you will see a list of all of the images being used in your document to embed them hold shift on your keyboard and click on each to select all of them then click on the menu icon in the top right corner and select embed images from the drop-down menu your images will now be embedded into your document and whoever you send your document to will be able to see them just as well as you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deal with images a lot and it's so frusfrating to import them again everytime I open the ai file. Please advise me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a solution when the files need to remain as linked files. In many workflows, a layout is the wrapper in which another AI or PSD file is placed and then updated when the file is duplicated, repurposed or a client provides an updated image file, for instance. Then, one is relying on the operator to relink and re-embed the new file. That's just not good practice and most definitely will lead to wrong work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you want your file to be really huge, you don't want to embed images, so that's not a great option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoever marked this "Correct Answer" has never tried to work with a file containing a few dozen linked high res images. This is not a solution. It is a work around for limited situations. Once again, Adobe is leaving us hanging without a net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FloridaFatherOf3  schrieb:

This is not a solution. 

As has already been said.

So what is your problem? And which version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as everyone else on this discussion. Illustrator randomly forgetting image locations with no easy way to relink. At least when this happens in InDesign you can search the destination folder for additional missing links. I have not found a way for Illustrator to do this same function. It isn't "my problem" so much as it is an issue with the software that many users seem to be experiencing. I'm using version 27.8.1 (64-bit). Here is the way that this bug is making my life hell:

1.  I'm currently designing virtual store trade show displays that can contain up to 100 linked images per file.
  2.  Regularly when I reopen a file it will give me an alert letting me know that it can no longer find certain images even though nothing has been moved or renamed.
  3. This creates countless hours of work relinking all of these images. Embedding is not an option as is creates files so large that they are impossible to work with.

POPFULLY.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand that this is a complete disaster for your workflow.

Commenting this thread will unfortunately not alert the developers. For that you have to post to https://illustrator.uservoice.com

This forum is community support. 95% of users here are not staff. That said, someone has posted a relinking script: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/quot-re-link-to-new-path-quot-script/m-p/1277... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Appreciate the direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is not a solution. The solution is to use professional prepress software, like ArtPro+ or PackZ. It's a shame that Adobe competes for the low-end and doesn't pay much, if any, attention to support issues. ArtPro+ and PackZ are comparitively expensive to a CC licence, but attempting to rely on Illustrator in a professional environment is insanity. If we didn't have clients that routinely deliver AI files without PDF compatibility (despite reminding them thousands of times), AI would never get launched here. I've seen client files that were remarkably complex done in Illustrator, but for prep - no way. Can't relink a file? Too bad. No trapping tool? Sorry. Mem crashes with a recent AI update on 32 GB mem machines as allegedly supported by Adobe - user's fault. Need support or a bug fix or workaround? Google it - maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe Adobe should think about filling the void between $12K a seat prepress tools and $50 a month subscriptions. We pay ten times that for ArtPro+ monthly but it works, there's support, we get work done and the company makes money. If Adobe could do this for $250 a month, would we pay it? We might not because we can do things directly from ArtPro+ that Illustrator  can't do in downstream workflows, but for a standalone prepress professional tool that will work and help to produce work, I'm pretty sure that's worth $50-$75 a week. Otherwise, you might as well be using CorelDRAW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can always contact Customer Care if you want them to figure out what's wrong with your installation.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that folder located. Is it a normal folder or a folder that is synced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Everytime I open a file I have to relink every link separlty from the same folder. I do not want to embad the links it makes the file to slow and large. Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently also facing the same problem. I deal with images a lot and it's so frusfrating to import them again everytime I open the ai file. Please advise me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Even when I have linked all images again separately. When I open the file again every images are missing.
I would like to know if it is a known issue for Adobe and that they are trying to fix it or if they do not care about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing your images are in a different location from your source file and more than likely on a different drive...

If you don't want to load your images every time you open your illy file(s), have it and the linked files in the same folder on your hard drive, but not on a usb/external/second drive, and not on a network...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hi! For solution, leave the folder in the favorites, downloads section and try to open it that way. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, neither of the above are rational solutions. As images in professional prepress workflows are likely stored in a central location and the paths are persistant, Illustrator should, and used to, retain the links. I understand that Illustrator isn't a professional prepress tool and I also understand that Adobe doesn't support this product at least in the way a professional prepress product would be supported (at much, much greater cost), but this is basic functionalty that should work and does not in the version of Illustrator described above.

While community support is appreciated, this actually calls for Adobe support directly which oddly, seems to be unavailable to resolve this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short them. I sole it like this. Updating the program does not solve the problem. Adobe needs to go over this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that using the "Package" option solves this issue (File > Package). Indesign users are used to this feature, but it basically makes a copy of your illustrator file and puts all links into a "Link"folder as well as any fonts in a "Fonts" folder. And all of these elements sit inside a parent folder. Then all links are perfectly working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have a file server to work off of, you do NOT want to do this. you will have multiple copies of your images all over the place. Illustrator USED to keep link information but it appears it no longer does. No one should ever have to package a file just to keep links together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines