Illustrator 2022 Weird issue

Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)

Mac mini (M1, 2020)  –– 16 GB RAM

Illustrator 26.2.1

Simple but weird story: 

When I open Illustrator, the available Disk Space drops as per the screenshots.

No files open, no nothing. Just by opening the app. When I close, it goes back to normal.

Even if I set the scratch disk to an empty external drive, it "reserves" that incredible amount of space, but no folders or any actual content appear. What the actuall hell is going on?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be an issue with the latest update, can you run an older version to test?  Try running Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to repair your drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. 
I've tried to go back, installed the previous version and no luck. Second thing: I have my 2020 iMac in the office with the same latest Illustrator and there is absolutely no issue with the disk space (approx 1 GB is locked only) so I still have 0 idea ☹️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Mike_Gondek 

I tried the previous Illustrator version, but it was all the same (except that my Preferences were messed up but it's another topic...)

I did all possible repair tools including Onyx but it's the same still. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Deleted User,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you to share a few more details like:

Also, I would request you run Illustrator under the root user account and check if it works.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back on this Anubhav

• Are you running Illustrator under a domain(network/server) user account?

Nope, it's a simple admin account on my Mac

• Since when are you facing this problem?

I noticed this about 2 weeks ago

• Have there been any recent changes made to your computer (OS Update/ Antivirus/ Plug-Ins)?

Apart from the very latest OSX update, nothing else

It's not relevant, since my Mac doesn't create any actual files or folders. It opens incredibly slow (about 60 bounces of the Dock icon) and the available disk space drops massively, but no folders or files created. (as mentioned I've tried even with a blank external SSD and I couldn't find anything there, no hidden files/folders neither)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an importand update: I've created a new guest user and the problem doesn't exist! (Opens quickly and doesn't lock any amount of the disk) - Interesting 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation. It seems like there might be a problem with Illustrator's permissions. Kindly follow the steps shared in this article, reboot your computer and check if it makes a difference.

Also, there is a chance your current user profile is corrupted. In which case you might need to migrate all files to a new user account. If you need help with this you can reach out to Apple Support.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it seems both mentioned folders have the rights as shown on the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was helpful feedback about creating a new account. Sounds as you might have a corrupt pref in your users/library folder

Reset Prefs Thoroughly (Mac)

Quit Your Adobe App (100% you must do this)

Finder >> Go (hold down option to show hidden) >> library 

Rename these 4 folders

• Preferences >> Adobe  >> Program Name rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library- >> Caches >> com.(Program Name) rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library >> Application Support >> Adobe >> Program Name rename to (Program Name.old)
  • /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP rename to (CEP .old)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Messing around with these didn't help unfortunately.

Reset Prefs Thoroughly (Mac) – is this a step, or the title of the below?

Quit Your Adobe App (100% you must do this) - What do you mean by "Adobe App"? 🙂

Finder >> Go (hold down option to show hidden) >> library 

Rename these 4 folders

• Preferences >> Adobe  >> Program Name rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library- >> Caches >> com.(Program Name) rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library >> Application Support >> Adobe >> Program Name rename to (Program Name.old)
  • /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP rename to (CEP .old) - There is no CEP folder or file here

By @Mike_Gondek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a similar issue and I can't seem to get help from anyone! Except my glitch happens when I try and run a specific action. Pathfinder unite a shape and then the RAM jumps up to more than my computers 32G possible. I've been on the phone with my work IT department, apple and tried reaching adobe but they keep blocking my calls and the few I have gotten in touch with can't seem to find the issue. And no one from adobe has contacted me back. I've done everything suggested in the list above, and the solution that worked for you in creating a new user has not worked for me though. IDK what's going on! Someone HELP! 

Screenshot below so you can see how High the ram Jumps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting it is... But at least it's RAM, a bit more sense for using an App. But locking tons of disk space just because opening an App, doesn't make any :)))))) And no one could help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines