• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2023 will not flatten artwork

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've rebooted and reinstalled the software, but cannot get it to flatten. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

With different colors in it, you cannot combine it into one single shape. All you can do is group it.

Transparency flattening probably has created even more objects than you had before using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the parts of your artwork you want to edit and tell us what exactly you are expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just tried to attach the art and I got this: 

Correct the highlighted errors and try again. The attachment's risingphoenixkali logo solid flat.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may sound silly, but did you select something before you tried to flatten the artwork?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe so - I've tried to do this multiple times in a number of different approaches. But I get it, a simple glich I enabled could certainly be the culprit! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should have said "yes and no." I've tried selecting everything as well to flatten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My expectation was to collect individual layers/shapes together into one shape. I could have used the shape builder tool, but I was looking for a single click solution.

Following up on Tom Fredericks reply: I went back in a selected everything with the selection tool, then used the object drop menu, selecting Flatten Transparency. This grouped everything together nicely. 

The problem seems to have been me highlighting all the layers in the Layers drop down and then using the Layers drop down menu to select Flatten Artwork. This did nothing. Beginner probs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flatten transparency might make your artwork more complex. And you don't get "one shape". You get a grouped mess most of the time.

Do your objects have different colors? Are there holes in shapes? Can you show it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to post it here (see above), but yes, it has different colors. Overlapping circles to form the image, one color of circle being white to produce the outer edge. There are no holes in the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With different colors in it, you cannot combine it into one single shape. All you can do is group it.

Transparency flattening probably has created even more objects than you had before using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is where I'm at now, with a grouped image. As I replied to Tom, I just went about this the wrong way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you are not talking about flattening as in transparency flattening, but that you want a single object on a single layer that contains your artwork. Am I correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct, Tom. And I really went about this the wrong way from the start, I realize. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good, Kenneth, we understand better what you meant and you understand better how Illustrator works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines