Illustrator alters saved RGB colors to dull CMYK approximations.

Participant ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator alters colors saved as RGB to dull CMYK approximations, even for documents with RGB color mode.

Here are two examples:
  • when I double-click on a red swatch that I had saved as R=255, G=0, B=0,

I get C=-0, M=89.11, Y= 90.01, K=0, or R=205, G=48, B=50, a duller red color;
  • when I enter R=255, G=0, B=0 as the Fill color in the Toolbar:
     • the first time I double-click to re-open the Color Picker, the original values R=255, G=0, B=0 are displayed;
     • but when I close the Color Picker and double-click the Fill color to re-open the Color Picker,

I get R=205, G=48, B=50 the same dull red as above.

Please enable Illustrator to keep saved RGB colors unchanged, at least for RGB color mode docs.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your color management set up?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are working in CMYK colour mode? You can, just change document colour modet to RGB.
Edit > Document Colour Mode > RGB

Could also be if you have a missmatch between documents RGB and working RGB (one is set to sRGB and the other Adobe RGB?) I have not exepienced problems in RGB documents, so we may need more information on your version of Illustrator and your Operating system.
If you create swatches from the swatches panel do you get the same problem? 
You can save RGB colours in a CMYK colour mode only if they are defined as spot colours.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines