Illustrator & Photoshop print outs are smaller than measurements indicated in file

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else out there. This happened to me several years ago in Illustrator.

I have an image that is 6 1/4" x 11 1/4", but prints out at 6 1/16" x 11". There was no scaling or "fit to page" turned on. The print window was 100%, just like I always use. I printed the same image at the same 6 1/4" x 11 1/4" in both Illustrator and Photoshop and got the same result-smaller. Not sure if it's these programs, or the new Epson XP 15000 printer I bought recently. I am at a complete loss as to what to do, other than oversize the images digitally so that they print out physically print out to the right size. Is there anyone who can suggest what I can do? The attached screencap shows the details. Thank You, Carl

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Yep, it was the Epson printer driver. I had version 3.0, now, it's 10.8. Images printing to correct size now. Thanks agian.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @carlart,

Thanks for reaching out. I would request you to check the Printer Settings under Page Setup and make sure all settings are correctly set.

Also, I would request you to export this image as a JPEG/PNG, then try printing from a different application such as Photos and let us know how it goes. If it's the same you may want to contact your Printer manufacturer with the precise page setup.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anubhav,

Thanks for the help! Using your suggestion I have discovered that it appears to be an Epson driver problem. Out of Photoshop I exported the PDF I generated in Illustrator into a PNG and printed it with Preview and got the same size (smaller) as the Illustrator & Photoshop print outs. I will be contacting Epson. Thanks again. Carl

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it was the Epson printer driver. I had version 3.0, now, it's 10.8. Images printing to correct size now. Thanks agian.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the latest driver for your OS.

Also turn on trim marks

MikeGondek_0-1651858235916.png

You should also rotate your art, as is close to the edge, and your printer might not be able to do edge to edge printing. As there often is a gripper that grabs the paper, and most printers do not print to edge, as it causes toner/ink to get inside the printer which the heat makes it hard and scratches your fuser roller.

MikeGondek_1-1651858365417.png

You also may have settings here that shrink to size. They are custom to the printer, and your left and right edges are close to the paper. That is why I suggest to rotate as this sounds like you may have an auto-scale to paper on. Check the settings where I circled in red.

MikeGondek_0-1651858665397.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mike

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines