• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator and Photoshop 2022 EXTREMELY slow on Windows machine

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to the 2022 apps. I use Illustrator and Photoshop at my business. Both have become almost unusable. I'm on Windows 11 with 16GB RAM, i7, nVidia Quadro P400. Every single thing I try to do is extremely laggy, more in Photoshop but also in Illustrator. One thing I did notice when I did this update was the fans on my PC fired up like a jet. Anyone else ran into this and found a solution?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Explorer , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

This will sound super stupid but I pulled my graphcs card out then put it back in and the slowness is now gone. I didn't even clean it, I was intending to take it to a computer store to get it checked... The guy at the store says sometimes they need reseating because they lose contact with the pins or something. Worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Try removing any plugins you are using. That seemed to be my issue. The only problem is, I rely heavily on one of them for the majority of my work, so I had to reinstall it. 

Definitely reach out the customer care. They were super helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

I went through this guy's post and things are working much better.  I think much is addressed with my NVIDIA RTX A2000, he goes through it at around - 30:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX1vB7ItJc&t=1276s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

my new Windows 11 Workstation went back to acting stupid.so I did (2) things today.  Now it's working awesome, like never before!

(1) updated Wacome Cintiq 22HD drivers via Windows update (in the Optional updates panel).  I use a large Dell monitor, 3440 x 1440 alongside a Wacome Cintiq 22HD 1920 x 1080.  I imagine it takes some work for my Nvidia RTX A2000 to balance the 2?

(2) I repaired my Windows image using the latest Windows 11 Media Creation Tool following this guys  post - I think this is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing any plugins you are using. That seemed to be my issue. The only problem is, I rely heavily on one of them for the majority of my work, so I had to reinstall it. 

Definitely reach out the customer care. They were super helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! This was exactly the problem. After clearing my Windows 10 cache with CCleaner, Illustrator became extremely laggy. I spent hours trying to solve it and with your answer, I found the problem: the Astute Graphics plugin. After uninstalling it, Illustrator returned to work without any lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem for me was Win 11.. For some reason all adobe applications were very VERY laggy (I use a lot of Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere Pro)... Premiere Pro was actually unusable..had a lot of Green Screens (just like the blue screen but the problem was related to the GPU (Nvidia RTX 2060) instead of RAM).

So I went back to Win 10 and now everything is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue with the latest version of Illustrator. Takes much longer to open files. This started happening about a month or so ago after a recent update. Premiere Pro is also a bit laggy. Adobe, please... less updates, better usability.

MSI-Creator15
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
Device ID D5E1489D-36D7-45DF-A7CB-1BD126BBBBC2
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA104
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
nVidia RTX 3080 GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Boqueron.1969,

We are sorry to hear about your experience & delayed response. Would you mind trying the steps suggested in this helpx article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html) and let us know how it goes?

Also, please confirm if you are working with the power adapter plugged in or on a battery and if the laptop chassis is warm to the touch & performance mode is checked in Windows power options or not?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but I've just updated the 2023 and my Adobe CC apps seem to run a lot better now on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent 6k on my new workstation in January, unfortunately, it came with Windows 11.  I used to use Photoshop,

Illustrator, and 3ds Max at the same time.  Now I can only 1 program will work at a time.  The task manager shows the Performance factors very low, so what is my machine hanging up on?  I don't have time to set up everything back to Window 10, that is not an option for my team and I.

The problems with the Artboard naming in Illustrator has destroyed me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Povich5000,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Adobe apps on your Windows 11 machine. While these programs are designed to work efficiently on high-end machines, there may be underlying issues that are causing your performance to suffer.

Would you mind trying the suggestions in this HelpX article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html)?

Also, for the Artboard naming issue, could you please elaborate more on the issue? That will help us to better understand and assist you.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The overall question is - why do we have to downgrade the view / quality (which affects our work too) when we a) have bought a better machine which should work smoother (+ we probably bought a better machine to view things in better quality) and b) older app version worked smoother than the new ones (+ with an older machine).

This is the real problem - it's not on our end, it's on yours. The apps getting slower and worst. The outline view btw (which is recommended in your article to increase the performance) is buggy asf. Sometimes the lines just look weird and are not aligned perfect when you zoom in. Which is not acceptable. This view should be stable as it is a view you use for making detailed work, so you depend on it.

The apps are a mess and it gets worse every year.  Stop stuffing in useless filters and functions into the apps and make the tools - which we use daily in our work - stable, please. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, all three are buggy and not stable + slow. It's not a fun experience working with these. They often cost me more time than they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with wnwka. The apps should not require so much tweaking or troubleshooting of a system in order to work efficiently. Instead of improving with every update, most apps seem to be getting buggier and buggier. Most of the times I install a Premiere Pro update, I get a message about graphic card compatibility, and it's an Nvidia 3080 with the latest driver. Adobe... get your stuff together and don't give us more features to justify your subscription price; clean up your act and make your apps work better across a wider variety of systems, PLEASE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Anshul Saini,

I'm thankful it's been so busy, I'll do better at trying to get it figured out.  My machine works amazing when 1 program is working, enough to get me by (lots of switching, time loss, user errors and interupted work flow), It would be amazong if it worked like my old machine with 3 programs working.  It feels like im on a sinking ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This latest "updated" has slowed my machine to a crawl. It is taking an extremely long time to load the program, any files, saving files and is very jerky. I've updated every drive I could and it is still horrible. I wasted some much time the last couple of days try to power through it but it is ridicous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through this guy's post and things are working much better.  I think much is addressed with my NVIDIA RTX A2000, he goes through it at around - 30:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX1vB7ItJc&t=1276s

An absolutely massive windows 11 optimization guide to make your system snappy and maybe even gain some extra FPS. You have all been asking for it and here it is. No music so you can leave it on in the background and chapter markers so you can skip around to your hearts content! Spectre/Meltdown ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my new Windows 11 Workstation went back to acting stupid.so I did (2) things today.  Now it's working awesome, like never before!

(1) updated Wacome Cintiq 22HD drivers via Windows update (in the Optional updates panel).  I use a large Dell monitor, 3440 x 1440 alongside a Wacome Cintiq 22HD 1920 x 1080.  I imagine it takes some work for my Nvidia RTX A2000 to balance the 2?

(2) I repaired my Windows image using the latest Windows 11 Media Creation Tool following this guys  post - I think this is what did it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxCueZ2dVQ&t=751s 

Does using the SFC /Scannow command never work for you? That was the case for me for a long time. That was until I learned the proper way to use it by combining it with DISM. The System File Checker is a very powerful tool that can fix a ton of problems if you use it right. Today, I'll show you ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes me too. extremely frustrating. I always have both open as im using both all of the time. it has slowed considerably

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Julie27559665xucg,

We understand that encountering slow performance while working in Illustrator can be frustrating. I hope the suggestions shared here helped resolve the problem.

If not, kindly try performing a clean reinstallation of the GPU drivers (Intel / NVIDIA / AMD) and setting the Graphics Preference to High-Performance for Illustrator (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-110) if you're using a Windows computer and check if it helps. If you're on a Mac, kindly try manually resetting Illustrator's preferences and checking if it helps:

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings.old

• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am officially considering Illustrator and Photoshop to be totally incompatible with Windows 11.  My new machine struggles, 11 minutes just to move one thing, tons of glitches.  Photoshop color selector isn't working now?!  Why is my 2017 machine working faster than my new $5k workstation?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the correct answers...seriously reseating my card was all it took 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will do!  I'll give it a try before I reset Windows 11 this weekend.  thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still struggling with this too! My laptop loads illustrator in about 20 second and runs fairly smoothly. My workstation takes almost 1:40 and is sluggish. I'm hoping one day there will be an updated that focuses on the bugs and compatibility versus additional features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love a bugfix/compat update too. Did you try the correct answers? Some of those might be your ticket!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't edit my original post so I will add here... if you have had previous versions of PS/IL they often save configs/preferences and whatnot on your computer. Last time I had serious trouble (my IL was soft crashing with larger files, so I wasn't aware it had crashed because it just was acting choppy and slow but still "working". I didn't know until reloading but my saves weren't saving my changes so I'd make monumental progress, save, and come back and it was all gone it was devastating.) an Adobe support person had to remote control into my computer to figure the issue out and it turned out that the older versions were interfering with the new ones, even though they were LONG uninstalled. They had to manually remove all the registry and folders from my system and after that it worked beautifully. They don't get why it happened and neither do I but it was a pretty huge issue and I'm really glad they took the time to help me with it.

So TL;DR manually ensure all of your older PS/IL versions are uninstalled and removed from your system if you're a longtime user it could cause you problems. Do it now before you have problems even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines