Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Calligraphy Pen Pressure not Working

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

my computer lost it's battery during the night yesterday, and when I went back onto Illustrator after recharging my computer to draw, the calligraphy pen tool that I was using did not respond to any pressure from my drawing pen, and it would only create a line of just one thickness, just like in that 5pt. or 15pt. pen default mode. I restarted my Wacom pad, and also tried the calligraphic pen tool in Photoshop, which worked by the way, but still did not work on Illustrator. I have also tried opening and closing the file again. I am working on a time sensitive project, and it's really frustrating that this issue is happening to me now.

I'd appreciate any help,

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

You could try if resetting the preferences helps in this issue.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Use the method of renaming the folder in order to be able to reverse the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Not all of the drawing tools offer pressure sensitivity so it may be that the wrong tool is selected? Which tool do you have selected when drawing your lines? If you want to use pressure sensitivity with a Calligraphic style brush I recommend using the Blob Brush tool. This gives you a huge amount of control over size, angle and roundness of brush. In Illustrator, double-clicking on a tool will open up the options for that tool. In here you can adjust the pressure sensitivity for the tool if they exist.

Screenshot 2017-09-22 07.35.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried the blob brush with the same settings that you used in the screen shot, but it still didn't work. Here's the screenshot of my two test lines, both have had pressure applied on it. The top line is the calligraphic pen line, and the bottom is the blob brush line. My calligraphic pen was working fine, until yesterday which is a mystery to me.

Thanks!

Line Tests.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try if resetting the preferences helps in this issue.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Use the method of renaming the folder in order to be able to reverse the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but it didn't work. I have Illustrator CC 2018 and Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 and I can get the pressure work on calligraphy brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I tried that but it didn't work. I have Illustrator CC 2018 and Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 and I can get the pressure work on calligraphy brush.

On which system?

Which Wacom driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Mojave 10.14 and Wacom driver 6.3.31-6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to check the accessibility options in Mac OS. A couple of other tipps in here: Pen Pressure in Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika suggests, try resetting the preferences. You may also need to check your Wacom preferences too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I re-setted my preferences, and it worked.

Thanks a lot guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this problems you must install your tablet driver. I hope this help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why pen pressure do not woking at Ai?Plz help me..

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 1.04.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sol90267262  schrieb

Why pen pressure do not woking at Ai?Plz help me..

Does the solution in this thread help you?

If not, please create a new thread and tell us, which system, which version, which graphic tablet this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mam 

i also have same problem when i want to create calligraphy brush pressure shown as desable i am using on Windows 10 asus laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too I hade the same problem how can I fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

me too I hade the same problem how can I fix it

Which version, which system, which tablet?

What have you already tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem

I`m using CC 2018 in window.

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lyp33924251  schrieb

I have same problem

I`m using CC 2018 in window.

And which graphic tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can we use it without graphic tablet?

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lyp33924251  schrieb

can we use it without graphic tablet?

thank you!

Yes, but then it's not pressure sensitive.

You might want to take a look at variable width strokes as an alternative.

How To Use The Width Tool in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika. I realise that the majority of people on here are having this pen pressure issue with Wacom tablets, but I am using a XP-PEN Star 06, on Illustrator CC 2019 (Mac OS). Someone suggested that I tried creating a new Calligraphic brush and setting the size to 'pressure', but didn't work and remains greyed out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the tablet software, but didn't work either.

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 22.19.54.png

I am having no problems at all with pen pressure in Photoshop.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markymark2000  wrote

Hi Monika. I realise that the majority of people on here are having this pen pressure issue with Wacom tablets, but I am using a XP-PEN Star 06, on Illustrator CC 2019 (Mac OS). Someone suggested that I tried creating a new Calligraphic brush and setting the size to 'pressure', but didn't work and remains greyed out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the tablet software, but didn't work either.

Please try and install a Wacom driver on top of the original one.

This is a hack. It might or might not work. Please report if it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, thanks for the response. Yeah, I reinstalled the Wacom software, but to no great reward. It now gives me the 'Pressure' option when I'm creating a new brush, but it doesn't make any difference. I have been using Illustrator for years and when I decided to buy a pen tablet recently for vector-based artwork I made sure that it was compatible. The XP-PEN product I opted for is compatible and I have already spoken (at length!) with them about this and they ultimately advised me to approach you.

Can you suggest any other alternatives? Am I the first person to have encountered this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screenshot of the calligraphy brush dialog box?

You have moved the slider higher than 0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines