Illustrator Can Only Partially Read This File

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Lately I have ran into problem with one of the AI files. When I try to open it, suddenly, Illustrator prompts a message "Illustrator can only partially open this file". When I was working on it just a few days before error occurs - there ws no problem, everything worked ok. When I open file now (with the error) I have just 1 of 30 artboards!

I was trying solutions found on the web: installing older version of Illustrator, trying to open file via PDF. Nothing worked. Unfortunately, Adobe Support also couldnt retreive any data from the fila. the thing is that when I click on it - the preview shows all artboards, so its hard to believe that there is no data to recover (file size iss 1.9 GB).

Has anyone run into similar problem and maybe found a solution? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Loosing this file unfortunately costs me a money, and re-doing it from scratch will take days!

Thanks in advance for any help!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the file in Arobat, are all the artboards there? In that case, you can atleast retrieve some stuff. You could create a new file in Illustrator and then import the problem file. If you can recover the artwork from the PDF part, it still won't give you fully editable art unfortunately. 

Where did you save the file? It's not recommended to directly save to networks in Illustrator: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

But also the preferences can interfere. Try and turn off "Save in Background" in the preferences. It is known to interfere with some people.

Also: I would check my harddisk.

Did you contact the Illustrator team to recover your file? Or general Adobe Customer Care? Perhaps @Anshul_Saini can still help?

This is how Illustrator files work: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Many thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. 

When I open the file in Acrobat - yes all artboards are there. I tried to save this PDF file, and then open it on Illustrator, however unfortunately there is a pop-up error "Could not open this file". (Opening other pdf files on Illustrator works normally).

I am aware that it is not recommended to save AI files on network drives or removable media, which is why I have it on my local hard drive. 

What do you mean by saying that you would check hard disk? you mean scan it in some antivirus software? 

And yes - I did contact support team. Basically what they told me to do is to open corrupted file, click "OK' on the error message (so file opened with just one artboard visible, instead of 30), then create a package and share this package with them. That`s what I have done. Problem is that once I created package - the file size reduced to 30Mb, while original one is over 1.9 GB. Also - when I click on the file on the Windows Explorer - I can see the preview with all of the artboards, so I believe that data is still there, somewhere. anyway - today I have shared original file with Adobe Support (without package) to see if they can work on that. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes - I did contact support team. Basically what they told me to do is to open corrupted file, click "OK' on the error message (so file opened with just one artboard visible, instead of 30), then create a package and share this package with them.

By @michnik1

That was bad advice. Really bad. I hope you still have the large file and did not overwrite it (I also hope you didn't overwrite it by saving from Acrobat).

Please watch my video about files.

Does it work when you create a new file in Illustrator and then place the problem file? Not open it. Place it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately I haven`t overriden original file - I still have it and I still have hope 🙂

When placing the corrupted file in new Illustrator file only one artboard (the one which is visible when I open corrupted file with an error) appears..

I`ve sent main file to Adobe Support, however they responded "the data which was there in the file was beyond recovery. The metadata which was left in the file was corrupted to a level that our Product and Engineering team could not recover it"...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can open in Acrobat, try saving out to eps, then opening the eps file in Illy, if you have a lot of text it will probably all be converted to outline, but you could just select that back from the Acrobat opened version...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is not a solution.

Stuff that might still be there is the PDF (transparency) will be gone after saving as EPS.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @michnik1,

Sorry to hear about this. We tried to address the issue in v26.0.2. However, many users are reporting the issue is still not fixed for them. I would request you to share the files with me. I will forward it to the engineering team, and they will take a look at it. Please upload the files to CC/ Dropbox/ GDrive or any similar service and share the download link here or via DM with me.

This will help us investigate the issue further, and we can try to recover your files. Thanks, @Monika Gause, for tagging me.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

I`ve sent DM to you with link to the file in question. 

Many thanks for any help! Appreciate it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @michnik1,

Thanks for sharing the file. I have downloaded the file. Please allow me some to check these files, and I will get back to you once I have an update on this. We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your time & patience. I am sorry we were unable to recover the file. However, I changed the file extension from .AI to .PDF. Then I opened it up in Acrobat and exported all the pages as a separate document. Then I changed the exported PDF to .Ai. After opening them up, I was getting the "Illustrator Can Only Partially Read This File" error, but now it has some editable layer that you have to rearrange & rename. The total file size of 24 PDFs is around 7GB. I will be sharing the download link via DM. Apologies again; I know how frustrating this can be. Please reach out to us here if you have any other trouble with the app. We'd love to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines