• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't open any files (including a new blank file)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at my wit's end. While I have no problems opening my version of Illustrator 2022, I can't open any of my files and I can't open a new blank file either. I have tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it, restarting my computer, nothing works. I'm on a brand new M1 Mac Mini and I need to get work done this weekend that I can't do without Illustrator. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Thanks, Anshul, but I needed the programs to do my job, so I ended up having to wipe my whole computer and reinstall everything. It was a huge pain but it did eventually solve my problem. I appreciate the reply, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Adobe Cloud app up and running, did you restart? Your OOBE may be corrupted

OOBE RESET MAC

• Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app  (100% you must do this)
  • /Users/<user folder>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
  • The \Users\<user folder>\Library\ is hidden by default for macOS 10.7 and above. See Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 and later for instructions to access it.
  • Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
  • Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud desktop app again.
  • Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
  • Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud desktop app again.

or a pref

Reset Prefs Thoroughly (Mac)

Quit Your Adobe App (100% you must do this)

Finder >> Go (hold down option to show hidden) >> library 

Rename these 4 folders

• Preferences >> Adobe  >> Program Name rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library- >> Caches >> com.(Program Name) rename to (Program Name .old)
  • Library >> Application Support >> Adobe >> Program Name rename to (Program Name.old)
  • /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP rename to (CEP .old)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already reset my preferences, but I did try restting the OOBE. Now, when I open Illustrator, it gives a popup about Illustrator quitting unexpectedly and anything that was recovered will have [Recovered] after it, but when I click ok, Illustrator freezes and I get the spinning wheel of death again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I tried resetting my preferences, and I don't have a folder named CEP to rename. Is that bad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Katherine24069761npkd,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• The exact version of Ai
  • When did this start happening?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Are you using Time Machine or any Antivirus?

Also, I would suggest you try the following steps and let us know if it helps:

Let us know how it goes.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Anshul, but I needed the programs to do my job, so I ended up having to wipe my whole computer and reinstall everything. It was a huge pain but it did eventually solve my problem. I appreciate the reply, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for proactively trying the steps @Katherine24069761npkd. I am sorry that you had to wipe the whole computer but glad to hear that the issue is resolved now. 

Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help. 

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines