• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't open files

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden Illustrator cannot open files. The application stalls and I have to manually end it. The same is true for the word processing software Mellel. I had exactly the same issue about one month ago. Could there be an incompatibility issue? Is it possible to clean up Illustrator's preferences? Any ideas or suggestions? I'd appreciate any help.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

I was able to solve the problem with help from elsewhere: the font cache apparently got corrupted.

After typing in the terminal

sudo atsutil databases -remove

and restarting the Mac everything worked fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with Mellel.

If Illustrator cannot open files:

- move the files to your desktop in case they are on a server.

- check your printer settings. Illustrator looks for a printer when opening (or saving) files. If it cannot find one, it may behave funky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Monika,

thank you for your email. I have no printer connected to my Mac. What should I do? Install a "virtual" one? Moving files to the desktop didn't help. The problem persists :-(.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try and install a PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please recommend one? I never had a printer issue and as far as I understand Adobe does not support Adobe PDF printer for Mac. I never needed a pdf printer since pdfs can easily be generated by "save as pdf".

I would be surprised if the printer is the problem since I did not change the printer settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that there are two identical menu items "Save as Adobe pdf" in the print dialog under the "pdf" drop down menu, e.g., in Microsoft Word. Would it be advisable to use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to deinstall all Creative Cloud applications and then reinstall them (I am basically currently only using Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Illustrator)? What is lost during such a clean reinstallation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cleaner Tool erases all your settings.

I'm not sure if plugins get uninstalled as well. You should backup all the individual things you set up or installed (if you want to keep them)

As for the printer: Issues with printers come and go.

What's in these files? Text, linked images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I have tried the Cleaner Tool, erased (hopefully) the old installations (I use no plugins) and installed the new ones (Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop). The latter two seem to work fine, but Illustrator has the same problem as before. I tried to open svg files, pdf files, ai files. There are no linked images in these documents.

If the printer is the problem: could you please suggest a PDF printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully I didn't have to install a PDF printer on Mac OS - I have a printer.

But that also means I can't help you with choosing one, I'm sorry. At some time I had GhostScript installed, but it somewhat was a mess to set up. Don't know if it still is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pity. When I purchased Adobe Creative Suite it was not stated in the system requirements that one would need a printer to use Adobe Illustrator. I can't be the only one who has no printer physically connected.

Do you have any other ideas how to solve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was not stated in the system requirements that one would need a printer to use Adobe Illustrator.

By @defaultoj575640rdf9

This is a user forum. Only people labeled as "staff" work for Adobe.

Connecting a physical printer (or turning it on or updating the driver or fixing the printer) is something that has been figured out collectively in this forum and has proven to help a majority of people who report this kind of problem.

There are other causes for files failing to open. And there may be other methods to address the issue, but connecting a printer is the quickest one that has been found.

Maybe you will need to contact Customer Care and have them take a look into your system. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

You haven't told us which system you use - did you update it as well? Are you perhaps on a Mac OS beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you, I understand. I have already tried to install a "virtual" printer (without a physical one connected). I will try to find a physical printer and try it out there.

My OS is up to date and no beta release (11.5.1, MacBook Pro 16'').

I think I will contact Customer Care that they have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The missing printer was not the problem. I connected a working printer but this didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve the problem with help from elsewhere: the font cache apparently got corrupted.

After typing in the terminal

sudo atsutil databases -remove

and restarting the Mac everything worked fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you want to reset the preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ton,

thanks for your answer. I reset the preferences but unfortunately to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you launching files from Mac Finder or from Illustrator's File menu?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both ways – no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Since this happens with more than one application, I'm wondering if you have admin permissions to access that volume.  Do these work files reside on your primary hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also thinking about this but I am the only user and I have admin permisions. The thing is that could open all these files one or two days before without problems and I did not change the user permissions. Can I check something in this respect? Currently I can't open any files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer permissions can become corrupted for no reason.  Sometimes it's necessary to repair or create a new Mac user profile.  See link from Apple support.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-permissions-for-files-folders-or-disks-mchlp1203/mac

Also files stored on cloud drives like DropBox or iCloud have been known to cause access problems.

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally i've solved my problem too by following your direction which typing in the terminal... Really thanks alot!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines