• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2017 direct selection tool suddenly stopped showing anchor points and handles :(

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened abruptly, suddenly it wasn't working. I did not change any settings and the preferences are still the same, but i can't grab handles or see anchor points using the direct selection tool

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctrl/command + H? (show/hide edges)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Doug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, only Cmd (Ctrl) + H doesn't fix it. Neither does Cmd (Ctrl) + B. It's driving me crazy. I can select an anchor point with the direct selection tool, but I can't see that it's selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to reset your preferences.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the above, and nothing is fixing the problem. Can someone from adobe please offer a solution? This is making a quick project really long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stephenr38052659  schrieb

Can someone from adobe please offer a solution?

Do you have a current version?

Then you can always contact: Contact Customer Care

If you don't have a current version, please tell us your system and version and what exactly is happening step by step.

It would also be important to know if you have any third party plugins, which kind of object is affected and if this happens in all your files or just one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my issue. Adobe just sent me a "Thanks" for responding to the "Community." I'd rather they just fix Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my issue. Adobe just sent me a "Thanks" for responding to the "Community." I'd rather they just fix Illustrator.

By @Cheryl23943539i9sq

And you have version CC2017?

Which system?

Which input device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using CC online, so I’m not sure of the version. I use Mac Monterey on a 24” Mac. Is this the info you’re looking for? It’s not crystal clear to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is over 6 years old. If you are having a problem, I would start a new discussion.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP stated that the direct selection tool suddenly stopped showing anchor points and handles. They never responded so I have no idea what the root problem was or if it was solved by this thread.

Another user responded positively to ctrl/command + H (show/hide edges).

Another user responded that show edges and show bounding box did not fix their (presumably similar) issue.

Some community experts suggested preferences resets or the Show Anchor Points in Selection tool & Shape Tools preferences option.

Another user seems to have an issue not seeing points with the black selection tool active (probably the Show Anchor Points in Selection tool & Shape Tools preferences option would have helped this person, but they never responded).

So: what is your exact situation? What tool are you using, and in what circumstances can you not see anchor points that you would expect to? Did you try the other solutions in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible, it happened here too. When creating something I can no longer check if the paths are clean, they could be riddled with anchor points but I don't see them. Expanding paths has always been troublesome since CS3 but now I can't even see the points and have to use either the direct selection tool (which is a pain since it only allows selection of elements unless I use a workaround, takes time) or I select it with the selection tool and hold 'Ctrl'.

This is a disaster. I can't create professional paths unless I see the anchor points.

I may have to revert to using CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

angelaamongstrangers, you DID check if the 'Bounding Box' was visible though, right? A shortcut is easily mistyped

To make sure: 'Ctrl-Shift-b' on Windows, 'Cmd-Shift-b' on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

debbiesdebs  schrieb

This is terrible, it happened here too. When creating something I can no longer check if the paths are clean, they could be riddled with anchor points but I don't see them. Expanding paths has always been troublesome since CS3 but now I can't even see the points and have to use either the direct selection tool (which is a pain since it only allows selection of elements unless I use a workaround, takes time) or I select it with the selection tool and hold 'Ctrl'.

This is a disaster. I can't create professional paths unless I see the anchor points.

I may have to revert to using CS6.

Are you sure it's the issue mentioned above and not just the preference setting in Preferences > Selection & Anchor point Handling: "Show acnhor points in selection tool" (wording might be slightly different)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what has happened to me. Illustrator appears to "decide" how I'm going to interact with it. I'm not one bit happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of the situations in this thread happened to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On tool change, the Direct Selection Tool just stopped showing path and points/handles. Switching to Selection Tool revealed Bounding Box. Going back to DST, anchors, et. al. are missing. I've changed preferences. Quit Illustrator. Restarted. Rerechanged preferences... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...all resulting in NO anchor points/handles. help, help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines