• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2020 High Memory Usage

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to the latest version of Illustrator it has been constanly slow and a process called AIRobin.app is using 20 to 26GB of memory. Has anyone else had this isuue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am moving your query to the correct community 'Illustrator', experts here will be able to help you better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. Version of OS.

2. Is it happening with just 1 specific file or all files?

3. Are your files saved locally or on a network?

4. Have you tried working on Illustrator in safe mode? (You may try that by going on https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode if you have Windows machine or https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201262 if you have macOS.)

All this information will help us understand the issue better and work accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can offer my own answers to the above:

1. OS 10.13.6
2. Happens with pretty much any file, as far as I can tell. Intermittently. Sometimes works pretty smoothly, other times hangs inexplicably, doing the simplest of things. This is new since I upgraded to 2020, so I can probably pay more careful attention as time goes on.
3. Files are saved on a DropBox network
4. I have not tried working in safe mode. Can't really afford to do that during my work day, due to time-constraints, but I'm assuming doing that would help narrow down the possible problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and work only locally and not in a synchronized folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that already actually, and spent much of last week with DropBox shut down entirely and then resyncing at the end of the day. It DOES seem to improve things a little. Hopefully you're asking because that might help reveal the problem? Because realistically I can't work without syncing in real-time, as I work as a remote team-member, but yes, for the short-term, that does seem to improve performance to some degree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to AI 2020 and have excactly the same problem. AIRobin using 11,5gb, so Illustrator works really, really slow. Pretty annoying and I can't seem to find anything, besides this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. AIRobin is used for Background Save and Background Export. The new feature introduced in Illustrator 2020.

Check this link for more details about this feature: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/continue-to-work-on-your-projects-with-new-background-sav...

If you want you can disable the background save options from Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard > Please uncheck Save in Background. Please try this and see if this makes a difference.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecked the boxes, the problem remains. This morning I had a chat session with the helpdesk, they couldn't figure it out either, so we went back to Illustrator 23.1

Weird problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same .... I just unchecked the background save / export (no harm losing those) but after quitting then restarting Illustrator, AIRobin is still using 12GB (note: not a single file is open yet) and Illustrator itself is using 450MB. Maybe that's normal and no cause for concern. But that's where I'm at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same. (OSX 10.14.6, local saved data, no file openend, no safemode tried)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am also facing this. also get a bunch of airobin files in my trash folder when i restart comp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi, I am also facing this. also get a bunch of airobin files in my trash folder when i restart comp"

I understand that your issue is urgent, but please create your own new thread and don't post into multiple other threads about the same issue. Because otherwise multiple people will answer you in all those threads in you in turn will have to answer them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem with the newest realease. Any updates on this from the community?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. AI 2020 (24.1)

OS 10.14.6 on 2019 Macbook Pro.

AI takes minutes to save a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I bought an external hard drive for the scratch disk and it didn't really help. I do work on some intricate illustrator files but it's not so much those that have the problem. Just seems to be intermittent and random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I would reply here because I was running into a similar problem and couldn't find the answer, but have since resolved the issue.

For me, the problem actually wasn't any Adobe program (although Creative Cloud apps were the only programs with the issue). I would open a program and it would use anywhere from 9 - 16 GB of my computer's memory. And the programs were basically unusable. Most times I the programs wouldn't even launch, at other times they would launch but would grind to a halt if I did anything slightly intensive. This all occured after I updated to macOS Catalina and updated all my Creative Cloud apps to the 2020 version. I think the problem was that my computer was in some sort of recovery mode. I noticed that If I restarted my computer, I would get an error saying that my computer restarted due to an error, even though I initiated the restart. I'm honestly not sure what caused this to happen.

Fixing the problem was a multi-step process:

• I ran the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool, which removed all Creative Cloud apps completely. (you should backup any workspaces, plugins, etc. It looks like it removes the folders and everything in them)
  • I restarted my computer and waited ~10 minutes. I didn't open any programs, just gave my computer some extra time to start up.
  • I restarted my computer again before opening any programs. This initiated a clean boot, instead of a booting from an "error".
  • Then, after my computer booted back up, I reinstalled the Creative Cloud app and did fresh installs of all the programs I use.

Everything runs smoothly for me now. I hope this helps anyone that might be having the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 10.15.7 and it's so slow I can't use it. This is the absolute worst situatation for a design firm to be in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue. 

I haven't been able to try the full CC Cleaner method, but have uninstalled & reinstalled AI. Have logged out and back in. Have restarted. 

Now, with zero documents open since reinstalling, 16,35GB used by AIRobin. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines