Illustrator CC export for screens 1 pixel off in size

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a continuation of the issue that occurs in Illustrator CS6

Illustrator CS6 artboard exports 1 pixel off in size

Settings

1. The images I'm exporting are using whole numbers for width, height, x-axis position and y-axis position from x:0, y:0
  2. The artboards are the exact size of the image: Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art
  3. The Object > Make Pixel Perfect trick did not work for me. I got an Illustrator message stating they were already perfect.

Tested

1. File > Export > Export for Screens... (adds 1 pixel to height and width)
  2. File > Export > Export As... (does not add any pixels)
  3. File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) (does not add any pixels)

Thoughts

This seems to only be an issue with the "export for screens" option. I'm guessing this is a bug that just hasn't been solved yet.

If anyone has any insights regarding solutions, feature requests, or bug fixes please add them in the comments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

I realize this issue was brought up last year, but I had the same problem and thought it helpful to share a potential solution. Making sure the artboard is aligned to the pixel grid as described at https://www.reddit.com/r/AdobeIllustrator/comments/3dqadd/1_pixel_off_when_exporting_artboards_to_png/ct9qm26?utm_source… fixed the additional pixel problem in my situation. Essentially, while using the Artboard Tool make sure the X and Y position values are whole numbers without decimals. Doing "Rear

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Go into artboard editing mode. Select an artboard. Click on the SNap object to pixel grid button to the right side of the control panel. The artboard will then snap to pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

The Align selected art to pixel grid button also may change the size of the artboard, a 242 pixel wide artboard may become 243 px wide. Rearrange Artboards will not change their size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

I am not giving an excuse, I was giving an explanation. If you want it changed (I do too), you can add a vote at Uservoice:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/37694659-extra-pixel-added-to-image-size-when-exported

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really no different than incorrectly - or not - setting your color settings and on export expecting Illustrator to know what you wanted.

If you do the same size regularly, or need specific settings different from your usual working practice, set up your document correctly and create a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate what you and Monica are both saying, that it's always our responsibility but i think it is a little different, in that in this case, you set an art board at say 120px width and illustrator says it is, then if you export screens and choose 120px width, it all agrees with what you're asking then Exports a file that is not 120px width but 121px which yeah sure is  pretty much the same and we all now know that it's due to the art board being sat at a non whole number location, but it should just export 120px as the 'quick fix' Is just to open the image and crop by 1 pixel. Surely illustrator should just do the same thing. Or flag up that the art board is not set at whole pixels ? Or a check box on export that says 'force proportions for non whole pixels' or something, sure there are settings earlier in the process to avoid this issue but it remains a fact that illustrator does not do what it says it will, in that it exports at a size other than what it says it is going to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or flag up that the art board is not set at whole pixels ? Or a check box on export that says 'force proportions for non whole pixels' or something, sure there are settings earlier in the process to avoid this issue

By @d0nut247

The real issue is not that the exported file is larger, the real issue is that you get resampling on top of that. So you want to work with correct settings and not just crop your exported file.

With these small sizes you are obviously designing for screen, so why don't you turn on snap to pixels when creating artboards?

If you want to make a suggestion to the developers, please use http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're working on web projects, why isn't snap to pixel always on?

Once on, it stays on.

Illustrator can't guess your intent: if you later turn snap to pixel off, it assumes you know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not every workflow is straight forward like that though is it. This particular issue hasn't caused me personally an issue for years since we discovered this bug / feature,  and I work to ensure it doesn't cause me trouble, But many projects start out as a poster or flyer then you get a request for social media posts etc. illustrator is great for flexible working taking jobs and re-formatting layouts and exporting in many file formats but this thread wouldn't have started if the pixel export wasn't giving people results they weren't expecting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can yo guys stop blaming the user here. It's a problem with the software. There is no reason the artboard should go off the pixel grid. No one needs that. Stop giving Adobe slack. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends. I believe that I have managed to solve this problem. Rearranged the artboards vertically and when exported, the jpg files are exactly the same size as the artboards. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Met1 If this is the solution, then Artboard snap and Object snap should be separated out into two different settings. Sure, working in web you'll always want the artboard snap on, but there are plenty of situations whereby you might want to turn the object snap off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% the problem is that the artboard isn't 'positioned' on an exact pixel.

However, this is a frustrating issue given that artboards don't snap to pixels and that there's no error when this happens.
The logic behind the export is flawed if AI is adding an extra pixel even though it knows the output dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into artboard editing mode. Select an artboard. Click on the SNap object to pixel grid button to the right side of the control panel. The artboard will then snap to pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works mostly, however it breaks under some circumstances.

There's a known bug with artboard creation whereby if you constrain proportions, snapping to the pixel grid is ignored, hence causing you to run into the 'extra pixel added' bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Align selected art to pixel grid button also may change the size of the artboard, a 242 pixel wide artboard may become 243 px wide. Rearrange Artboards will not change their size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 2024 and this is still an issue. Shame on Adobe for not having fixed this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Samuel286571930ho3,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this community post (https://adobe.ly/3TQvXMb) and checking if they help?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines