• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC is not importing AutoCAD DWG file layers correctly

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6, I could import (open) DWG files  and it would correctly categorize the input objects into separate layers. In CC, it is putting them into a group in a single layer,  which is a big usability regression. Is there a fix for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Can you try opening the DWG files with the latest AI CC 2014 released yesterday. Please let us know the result.

With Best Regards,

Raghuveer Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it with 18.0.0 64-bit. Result is the same - objects in layers are not placed correctly.

PH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply PetrHavel. Can you send the DWG file to me at rbhunwal@adobe.com

With Best Regards,

Raghuveer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to have fixed the jumbled layer objects (lines are in their respective layers). Also my engineering dept. sends over 3D iso views and was having them import with hundreds of polygons and a color applied. That issue also seems to be fixed. Thanks!

Kyle Redlin

(Graphic Designer)

Universal Presentation Concepts

(608) 222-5658

kyle@upcdisplays.com

www.upcdisplays.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update kjredlin. I really appreciate this.

Petr Havel: Thanks for the sample DWG file which you shared with me. It seems that this file has multiple views which are created from Autocad. Have you tried opening this file in any other legacy version of AI ? What happens when you create only one view and then import it into AI ?

With Best Regards,

Raghuveer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rbhunwal,

To chime in with everybody else, I am also having the same problem. I cannot import DWG files at all, Illustrator gives me the following error: "The file "ContourLines.DWG" is in an unknown format and cannot be opened."

I used to be able to open the files in Illustrator CC, but since it updated to CC 2014 I have been unable to import the files. The file is an export from GlobalMapper and contains geographical contour lines as well as other vector data. The file opens fine in my 3ds Max so there is no problem with the file itself.

I am currently using Illustrator 2014.0.0 (18.0.0) on an iMac. I have run all updates that are available in the cloud. This is really frustrating as I used to be able to do what I neded to do, but now my workflow has taken a seriously big hit! For all the money I am paying for the software I would at least expect it to move forwards, not backwards!!

Please advise on a fix ASAP so that I can resume my work!!!!!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forgesouth,

Can you please send me the source file (DWG). And also with which Auto Cad version was it created ?

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer

rbhunwal@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raghuveer,

Thanks for the reply. I have sent the email with the file as requested. In terms of version, GlobalMapper does not let one choose which version of DWG to save as, it just saves it. I also do not own AutoCAD. Previously however I could save from GlobalMapper and load it in to Illustrator without any issues.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Global Mapper does allow you to choose the DWG version. In the "DWG Export Option" box that you go through to save the DWG file, there is a pulldown list at the top. I always save in R15 format. However, I have found in debugging previous releases of Illustrator (as described above), that trying the different formats does not help anything. The odd thing about your problem is that I suffered through DWG issues for more than a year and it was Illustrator 18 that finally fixed them for me, just the opposite of your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is now fixed for me in Illustrator 18 (Illustrator CC 2014).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is my first post.

hjespersen I was having the same problem exporting my CAD file into illustrator CC 2014 where all the layers would be separated. I chose to import it into Revit 2015 and then export from Revit 2015 as an AutoCAD 2004 .dwg file. I then opened it into illustrator and the layers all separated and seems to be working fine. I hope this works for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved?

I'm having trouble with the same action. When I place a 2000 or 2004 AutoCAD .dwg file in my Illustrator CC 2014 file, the CAD layers are all merged even when I deselect 'merge layers' in the place dialogue box. Help us, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this problem where my layers come into Illustrator CC mostly all merged onto layer 0 when in Autocad it is all separate. Really screws up what would otherwise be an efficient design product pipeline. Given that this is two softwares communicating, the issue could be on either side, Autocad or Adobe CC. Even user error is possible. But given other responses saying it works in Illustrator CS6, seems like the error is with Adobe CC. I started as a photoshop user and honestly prefer the way layers are moved and handled in photoshop to autocad and illustrator, but given they are vector editors its a bit of a different animal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION: SAVE AUTOCAD FILE AS AUTOCAD 2000/LT 2000. OPENS IN ADOBE CC ALL LAYERS INTACT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AI CC 2015 (cloud). It doesn't seem to recognize .dwg at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I run into this issue, most likely because it's a very new version of AutoCAD that created the file.

My backup plan for CAD files that don't open is AutoCAD360. It allows me to save the files down into an older format, among other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice, will try it and I hope we can find a workaround.

i'm a bit dissapointed that our expensive adobe cloud package can't handle our needs while the issue(s) seems to be known for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

I  have to create a Cluster for a Car in inventor. and need also graphics  as Background layers to be Decal-led (wrapped on to each of my 3D models (displays Screens etc..)

As i have experienced correct placing issues drawings from AI on to my 3D parts in Inventor i have tried to bring in DWG or DXF files. ( i am on AI CC latest version (2016).

As anybody else I could not bring in my Drawings DWG or DXF from AUTOCAD Inventor to fit my Illustrator Drawings_ Layouts i gave a Try to open the Sketch i wanted to have in illustrator to fit things better exported DWG and DXF files then opened those in Acrobat DC then in there i have saved that DXF file to PDF which i could then open in illustrator without any issues.

I hope this will work for you Guys too.

Cheers, B.Duruman.

PS Edit.

As the PDF comes in as a Clipped image> release clipping mask>Delete the mask>Release Compound Path> you ll have singular Strokes ( in my case a funny number of 0,789 pt).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unbelievable..... paying so much money for the CC thing and they not able to fix this bug for 3 years!

and it's getting even worse: if i go back to CS6 to open it (which always worked BEFORE) i can't open it there too since the CC update.

PLEASE FIX THAT BUG! We're paying much, much money for the latest AND "best" version of Adobe.

and yes, i know - "save in an earlier file". But sorry, that's so not what means "solving a problem": my colleague and clients which works with AutoCAD will kill me if i always have to aks him for a late-version file of everything.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in mid-2020 and the layer problem still persists.  I think it's safe to write this one off as "Never going to happen."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still there. Please fix it Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines