• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New subscriber. All of a sudden today Illustrator crashes while I'l working in it. Using drawing tools, selecting, moving just all of a sudden "unexpectedlly quits"

Please advise I got a brand new iMac and subsribed the other day hopeing to finally avoid crashes. My files are large color intensive but still shouldn't be a problem what I'm doing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you have the fonts Verdana and Tahoma (including the italics) installed and active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I delete some bad fonts

421 restarts
I install tahoma
Illustrator start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too.  It is really annoyoing and destructive.  Can anyone help? 

It started a few weeks ago.  I have to run an autosave program to keep from loosing data.  I've tried reinstalling the program, updating, clearing space on my HD. 

It tends to happen when I'm switching tools or when I drop images in or something like that. 

Big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shelleyfur, GG,

The following is a general list of things you may try when the issue is not in a specific file (you may have tried/done some of them already); 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to 3 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, what does CmdOptionShift do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GIG,

It replaces the (main) preferences file to the original (uncorrupted) one with default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what about on Windows 10? thnx.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear JB,

I am hoping to get some clarification on procedure #3.

Am I pressing Cmd+Option+Shift while I am launching Illustrator?

Does the procedure only revert the preferences file for Illustrator?

(I'm assuming it is best to save the existing preference just in case)

Kind regards,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Am I pressing Cmd+Option+Shift while I am launching Illustrator?

Does the procedure only revert the preferences file for Illustrator?

Yes and yes.

(I'm assuming it is best to save the existing preference just in case)

In which case, 4) is better: you lose the preferences with 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had any luck with this? I've been on the phone with adobe and Apple and I still have Illustrator crashing and Indesign select tools not functioning.

I've tried:

- The above

- Full Uninstalls and Reinstalls

- Resetting permissions

- Turning off all start-up items

- And a bunch of other things

The only thing that seems to work is creating a new profile and working from there BUT it's not practical as I have a very large dropbox syncing with this profile.

Totally frustrated here... anyone have any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to make a new user on the computer and try to work on Illustrator that way.

If that does not help any I would try to disable all fonts you can. It could be font related, bad fonts.

If a new user has no problem, move your most important stuff over to that user and make it yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very useful, the third way worked the first time and i didnt have any problems after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Illustrator is not opening!

I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

I have uninstalled, reinstalled and ran the cleaner.

Am waiting for adobe to send me an email on how to fix this. No other programs are having issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO LET UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE RESPOND TO HELP EMAILS....CMON  HANDLE THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way a forum works: anyone can answer.

If you want individual help, please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html They can login to your system and check things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue with AI 2014 CC, a restart of my computer instantly resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and resolved it by changing the format of the link. A flat PSD created the spinning beachball and crashed illustrator, but a flat TIF did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for over two years now with AI CS6 and now CC. I've been going back and forth with Adobe for a long time and most recently after doing everything mentioned above (deleting preferences, creating a new user, using the cleaner tool for reinstallation, etc.). They determined that its a bug, but there has been no fix for it. Drives me completely crazy, as I literally have to save every 5 minutes. My AI only crashes with the move tool, and seems to be most commonly triggered by AI being on for an extended period, but that isnt always the case. If anyone else has any other knowledge that would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for writing this. I am having this same problem. Seems to crash with the move tool- but always when I'm least expecting it. Yes! to driving me crazy. Have lost too many hours of work to this and don't know what to do. Rebooting doesn't help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME TOO. ALL OF A SUDDEN. REALLY ANNOYING. IT'S RANDOM, TOO. BUT OFTEN WHEN I'M USING THE EYEDROPPER TOOL OR DUPLICATING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution that worked for me!
Used to use this little prog called - "Copyclip".
Something with this program and the copy paste actions was screwing up illustrator.

Removed = Illy working again!

Good luck all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

If you are facing a crash with AI 19.2.0 on copy or duplication or moving any artwork please drop an email to rbhunwal@adobe.com.

Illustrator team would like to investigate this.

Appreciate your help.

With Best Regards,

Raghuveer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you linked the team to my post for me if its that important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having issues. Found this thread on Google search. My machine is more than capable, and the RAM, CPU, or HDD is not even close to maxing out while using it. Yet, while trying to use the Selection Tool to transform stuff, it's super laggy and basically ineffective. I'll also drop you an email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines