Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator changes the image resolution on its own when placing it

Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator changes the image resolution on its own when placing it , but not all the images !!

I placed an image  with 300 ppi into illustrator and it changed to 72 ppi, that of course changed the size significantly.

P.S. - I used place command in file menu, i dragged the image directly to illustrator and used the open command in file menu, same result
- I checked the page resolution and the document raster effects, they both 300
- I tried another vector software it didn't change the image resolution.

- I saved it as TIFF from photoshop (which read the size and resolution correctly) and illustrator got it right !! but i need it jpg !!

So, what could be the problem here ??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

It's 2022 and I've been wrestling with the same issue as everyone else in this thread. For the record, I'm an experienced CC user and am using the latest edition. After messing around with this for hours....here's how I solved the problem:

1. I resized my image in Photoshop to the exact size needed in my Illustrator document and saved as a PSD (my photoshop document settings were 300 ppi, CMYK color, and US Web Coated (SWOP) v2).
  2. In Illustrator, I used "place" (Shift+Ctrl+P) to place the psd image. (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"5 Same JPEG re-placed when cut and pasted into new document 300dpi at 100% - CORRECT SIZE AND SCALE"

Does that mean that Photoshop did not save the ppi correctly the first time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did save it correctly, I have been told by Adobe that there is a fix in V.23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same issue. Adobe, please could you fix it? If the image you've pasted has the resolution other than 72 ppi, Illustrator changes its size. Leave the size of the image - it is more important than ppi.

Adobe Illustrator Version 24.2 (64-bit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hello, I have the same issue"

Since you have a different version, can you please create a new thread?

And post step by step what exactly you are doing?

Also image specs and what exactly happens. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the View, click "Actual size" and it should fix it (you can also press Ctrl/Cmmnd + 1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People should learn that PPI's says nothing about resoultion. 

It's just information for a printer or output device.

If you take a 1000px x 1000px in photoshop, you can put it on 72ppi/dpi. The printer will print 1000/72 =13,8 inch wide/high. If you change the image to 300dpi (without checking 'RESIZE IMAGE') the resolution will still be 1000px X 1000px but the printer will print it at 1000/300 = 3,3 inches wide/hight!  So much misunderstading about dpi/ppi.  Just focus on RESOLUTION in pixels when you are working with pixels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the original file in illustrator and copy it to your desired illustrator file, the resize doesn't applied to the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's 2022 and I've been wrestling with the same issue as everyone else in this thread. For the record, I'm an experienced CC user and am using the latest edition. After messing around with this for hours....here's how I solved the problem:

1. I resized my image in Photoshop to the exact size needed in my Illustrator document and saved as a PSD (my photoshop document settings were 300 ppi, CMYK color, and US Web Coated (SWOP) v2).
  2. In Illustrator, I used "place" (Shift+Ctrl+P) to place the psd image. (My Illustrator settings were CMYK and raster effects High 300 ppi. And my View was set to Overprint Preview.)
  3. Clicked Embed
  4. Then right clicked on the image and selected "Make Pixel Perfect"

The jagged edges of my image finally disapeared and became sharp. And remained that way even when viewed at 400%. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines