• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator colors dull on external monitor

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching for a solution to this for months and have not made any progress  - please help! Using a Gigabyte Aero Intel laptop with a geforce GPU:

Colours on Illustrator are dulled out, but only when using an external monitor. This doesn't appear when I am in any other program (including PS), or on the laptop screen.

I have reset every setting I can think of but it seems like a software issue with Illustrator's monitor colour profile handling? It happens with every monitor I try usb-c or hdmi.

There seem to be a number of users going back a year who have posted this problem without a solution - is this just a known problem that will eventually be fixed?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try toggling View Using GPU in the View menu. Also, is this happening only with RGB files, only with CMYK files, or both? Look in File > Document Color Mode to know which mode you are in. You might be using RGB values in the Color panel but for a CMYK document. Illustrator files can only use one colour mode. A CMYK file can only use CMYK for any colours in the file. An RGB file can only use RGB values. This means in you have a CMYK file and enter RGB values inthe Color panel you will see RGB numbers but the colours displayed will be converted to CMYK. It's a bit confusing and it’s not obvious this is what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply - This is happening with RGB and CMYK files. Can you explain what you mean by "using RGB values in the Color Panel"? When I select a color it gives me both the CMYK and the RGB values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the information shared by Scott, Would you mind sharing the version of the OS & Illustrator? Have you tried resetting the preferences of the app? If not, please try doing that & let us know if it helps. Also, please share if you see this issue with some specific files.

This information would help us assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

OS Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Illustrator Version 26.0

This issue is with all files - RGB and CMYK but ONLY on one external monitor and only on Illustrator (which is why I'm not immediately replacing my monitor).

I can open the same file in photoshop and in illustrator and the colours are completely different. My color settings are synced via Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress with this issue? Exactly the same for me. Only with Illustrator and only with external monitor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. Adobe blames the graphics card and the graphics card support blames adobe. Extremely frustrating and I guess I'll have to either buy another new computer or gamble on buying another monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Just bought a new macbook only to find out I can't work with external monitor. Guess I'll hope for the updates or something... I don't know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now May and I'm facing the same issue. Hunting all over the internet for a solution to this Illustrator only on second monitor color issue. Has anyone found a workaround yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Checking in on this thread so see if anyone has found a fix yet? I am having the same exact issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines