• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Configuration Error: 5. Help please...

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded my 2013 27" Mac to High Sierra and I am trying to reinstall Illustrator CS5 from a Time Machine external backup and I keep getting the message "Configuration Error: 5" I have the original software CD and it was registered with Adobe at the time I purchased it in 2010.  Can anyone help me resolve this. Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

CS5 is officially compatible with Mac OS 10.6  https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements-old-versions.html

I run it on 10.10 (and that is possible because I updated the system after installing)

I think some people could update their systems to 10.11 with it, but I'm not aware of later system versions being mentioned in this forum.

Support for CS5 has been stopped for years.

It's a 32 bit app. High Sierra is 64 bit and there's a tech note by Apple: https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT208436

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Hi Brad,

Thanks for this. You are right. I managed to get Adobe on the line last night and they uninstalled and reinstalled everything on my computer. As to why I chose High Sierra - well, CS5 does not run on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that you have gone beyond where the installer can go with respect to the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Larry but before I did the update, I specifically checked with Adobe. They wrote me to confirm what they had told me;

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. We are following up on issue regarding system requirements for Adobe application. During our conversation, We Informed you that you can use the Creative Suite 5 application on Mac version 10.13 High Sierra.

And now, Adobe will not help me fix the issue. They tell me to post to the forums. I think that's pretty lame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you can re-install or copy an installation from a back-up (but don't quote me on that).

Anyway, if you have an Adobe licence you can try a direct download - https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think CS5 runs on that system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika but before I did the update, I specifically checked with Adobe. They wrote me to confirm what they had told me;

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. We are following up on issue regarding system requirements for Adobe application. During our conversation, We Informed you that you can use the Creative Suite 5 application on Mac version 10.13 High Sierra.

And now, Adobe will not help me fix the issue. They tell me to post to the forums. I think that's pretty lame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is officially compatible with Mac OS 10.6  https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements-old-versions.html

I run it on 10.10 (and that is possible because I updated the system after installing)

I think some people could update their systems to 10.11 with it, but I'm not aware of later system versions being mentioned in this forum.

Support for CS5 has been stopped for years.

It's a 32 bit app. High Sierra is 64 bit and there's a tech note by Apple: https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT208436

Do you have a case number for your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe Case # is {Personal details removed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On October 20, 2021, Adobe wrote me the following, which is why I upgraded to High Sierra;

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. We are following up on issue regarding system requirements for Adobe application. During our conversation, We Informed you that you can use the Creative Suite 5 application on Mac version 10.13 High Sierra.

I think they need to help me or take responsibility for my CS5 Illustrator software not working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You MUST install the software from it's original installers, whether from the orginal media or installers downloaded. The only way a previous install from a TM backup MIGHT work is if you were using the Migration Assistant to move ALL your settings over from your old install backup to your new one. Simply copying the Illustrator folder over is not enough as there are many places pieces are stored that are necessary for the program to run, and if you reformatted your drive, that may very well have erased your serial number.

I'm curious why you upgraded to High Sierra specifically anyway (when your machine is capable of going up to Catalina according to the specs for a 2013 iMac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Brad,

Thanks for this. You are right. I managed to get Adobe on the line last night and they uninstalled and reinstalled everything on my computer. As to why I chose High Sierra - well, CS5 does not run on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines