Illustrator could not open this file. We tried to read it, but it's too damaged to recover.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I received this error when trying to open a couple of .ai files.

The reason I know this is not a typical case linked to a damaged file, but instead a bug (some sort of conflict between Adobe and Google Drive) is because none of my recently saved files are opening. I tried roughly 40 files - all showing this error, however, they did not crash or get damaged while I was working on them. Furthermore, I am having the same issue with over a dozen InDesign files and all of this started about a week ago.

All my files are stored on Google Drive and accessed via the Google Drive desktop app in File Streaming mode (files are on the cloud and only downloaded locally when they are being opened and worked on).

Successful solution: 

I logged into Google Drive through a web browser. Pulled up the file that was not opening. I manually downloaded the file to my desktop - the file opened fine and all of my latest changes were saved.

Other attempted unsuccessful solutions:

1. sign-out and sign back into Google Drive where the files are stored
  2. reinstall latest and my version of Illustrator (26.0.2)
  3. downgrade to an older version of Illustrator (26.0)

Running:

Dell XPS 15 9570

Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (build: 22000.434)

Google Drive in file straming mode (version: 54.0.3.0)

Adobe Illustrator (version: 26.0.2)

Adobe InDesign (version: 17.0.1)

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022
Successful solution:  I logged into Google Drive through a web browser. Pulled up the file that was not opening. I manually downloaded the file to my desktop - the file opened fine and all of my latest changes were saved. Other attempted unsuccessful solutions: sign-out and sign back into Google Drive where the files are stored reinstall latest and my version of Illustrator (26.0.2) downgrade to an older version of Illustrator (26.0)

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Successful solution: 

I logged into Google Drive through a web browser. Pulled up the file that was not opening. I manually downloaded the file to my desktop - the file opened fine and all of my latest changes were saved.

Other attempted unsuccessful solutions:

1. sign-out and sign back into Google Drive where the files are stored
  2. reinstall latest and my version of Illustrator (26.0.2)
  3. downgrade to an older version of Illustrator (26.0)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines