• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator could only partly read this file

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working on .ai file and saving it yesterday, it now says "Illustrator could only partly read this file. We try to recover as much as possible, but some content might be missing."

It opens as a flattened file, all the swatches, patterns and layers are gone. And the baseboard is empty.

How can I resolve this?

Petra

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Illustrator could only recover the PDF part of the file.

Have there been any issues when saving the file?

Where did you save?

Is the "Save in background" setting in Preferences turned on? If so, turn it off.

It's important: make backups of your file while working.

Maybe @Anshul_Saini  can help you. But there might be no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues with the file but it's a complicated pattern file. Saved in a folder on desktop. Save in background turned off. This is the only file/version. Why would backup file open any more than this file?

What's the reason for this? Do I need to start worrying about other files too? Several others seems to have had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is always a chance that soething goes wrong.

It does not help you right now, but you have a CC account, so you can sync your files by saving them in your CC files folder.

They automatically get versioned every time you save (you can go back to previous file versions for at least 10 days ago).

And you can still make traditonal backups as well...

Sync:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html

Versioning:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the pdf part of the file is opened.

Do you have backups/previous versions?

Where do you save your files, local harddisk, external hd, sync folder, network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean different versions? No, this is the only file as I just started working on it. I save my files on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Petra17930298sf12,

I am sorry to hear about this. I would request you to share a few details along with the ones asked by @Monika Gause & @Ton Frederiks:

• The version of Ai in which the file was created
  • The version of Ai is currently installed on your device.
  • Are you using any third-party plugin or extension?
  • Would it be possible for you to share the download link with me here or via DM? I'll check at my end and see if it can be recovered or not.

In addition to Ton & Monika's suggestions to avoid this from happening, you may try the following:

I will be looking forward to the download link.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul, you suggested to avoid embedding images as much as possible, but Cloud documents do not support linked images. Would syncing with the CC files folder not be a better option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

Thanks for pointing that out, Ton. As always, keen observation. You are correct. However, in my mind, while posting the reply, these two were separate suggestions. If you save locally, then avoid embedding images as much as possible, and if you are saving as Cloud Document, then do embed the images. I will be more precise and clear next time. I will update my reply above for better clarity

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ansul,

I am using the latest software what everever comes with Adobe. I don't save anything to the cloud--past 20 years everything has been working just fine. 

This was a repeat pattern file with 20+ pattern swatches. Why would a file that was working fine not open the next time? 

This is first time that this has happend and looks like others have had the same issue. Is it the latest software issue? Where can I get an older version of AI to see if it opens there?

Thanks, Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing the details @Petra17930298sf12. This could happen due to several reasons.

Would it be possible for you to share the download link with me here or via DM? We'll check at our end. You may try Monika's suggestion to download the older version of Illustrator to check if it is opening fine in older versions or not.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines