• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Crashes, embedded graphics turn into white boxes.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me so many times, i'm finallly gonna post because it makes me furious.  I link graphics all the time, big fan it of it. I don't embed them unless I have and when i do it's usually because i need to crop something or change the resolution to make the file more managable.

SO MANY TIMES, illustrator crashes, and then in the recovered file, the embedded graphics are just white boxes (but still showing as embeddded in LINKS.  This has been going on for at least 2 years and on different systems.

Tonight I exported one of them out of curiousity and noticed the file was 1.8MB. I though oh, perhaps if i open that .psd i'll find a white layer over my image!  But no, it's just a 1.8 MB white box. 

Its is impossible for me to easily repostion several images that have, for some reason, just blown up. They have callouts and previs graphics over them.

Is anyone else familiar with this scenario? 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you experience lots of crashes, you will first have to address this. It shouldn't happen. Is your graphic card compatible, is there enough RAM installed, Illustrator running correctly or does it need some care?

Where do you save your files? If on a network, that is asking for trouble.

Also: don't rely on the recovery function as your only safety net. Ever. The recovery should never save you more than the last 10 minutes. Make proper backups. Save different versions on different volumes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Maria3B,

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing crashes with Illustrator. We know how frustrating that can be, and we are here to help.

We will really appreciate it if you could follow the steps in the helpx article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html) to submit a crash report. This will allow us to better understand the issue and assist you more effectively.

Also, would you mind sharing a few details along with the ones asked by Monika:

• Is this happening with a specific linked file or an Ai file?
  • Where are you saving the files & where are your existing linked graphics stored (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines