Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes in Mac OS 11 Big Sur

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I installed Big Sur in my laptop to test all of my programs first and I can't get Illustrator 2021 to open. I get the splash screen and it just sits there. I don't have any issues with InDesign or Photoshop. Anyone else having this issue? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. There could be multiple reasons why the application would crash. I would request if you could try the steps mentioned on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-fix-a-crash-and-recover-documents-in-illustrator/td-p/11434061?page=1) and share your observations with us. 

You may also try to remove the folder "com.adobe.illustrator" from ~/library/caches, restart your mac and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!!!! Thks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked! thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well! Thanks!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm being stupid here, I recently upgraded to Big Sur, and besides the fact that my Mac has seemed to slowed down significantly, I'm having the same issues here with Ai and Ps, I'm a freelance designer in the middle of numerous projects, so very stressed out. I cant find user/library/caches and remove the folder "com.adobe.illustrator", I search for it when I find library and then cache com.adobe.illustrator isnt in there, where should I be looking? Its ridiculous that this is even happening in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the chat, they can figure it out, sometimes its a permissions issue, for me the Wacom tablet driver was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PERFECT!!! It worked, and you saved my poor brain from exploding (not a huge loss but I'm sorta attached to 'thinking and designing'). ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, my suggestion is uninstalling your current version of illustrator, and install the ver.24.3 instead, that version works find on Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too here. Illustrator worked fine until yesterday on Big Sur. Suddenly.

I open a doc, and cannot work at all.

When I select an object, the screen go white ... then blue ... maybe green. If I press Command, I see my work again.

I install 24.3 and it just work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salut,

oui c'est pareil pour moi depuis que j'ai installé Big Sur. J'ouvre Illustrator et une fenetre noire apparaît, je peux ouvrir des fichiers mais je ne peux plus en créer de nouveaux car l'onglet est grisé. Que faire ? merci.Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 08.21.13.pngCapture d’écran 2020-11-18 à 08.21.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Let us help you fix this. Please try following these steps one by one and let us know how it goes:

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. There could be multiple reasons why the application would crash. I would request if you could try the steps mentioned on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-fix-a-crash-and-recover-documents-in-illustrator/t...) and share your observations with us. 

You may also try to remove the folder "com.adobe.illustrator" from ~/library/caches, restart your mac and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your reply, I have already spoken with Adobe chat and discovered my issue was due to the Wacom tablet driver. It has been resolved. Thanks for the addtional information. When I update my main computer, I will save it in case I run into any other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue w/the Big Sur update. I just removed my wacom tablet drive completely, then restarted Illustrator (I did not need to reinstall Illustrator) and it opened fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked also here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted support and shared my screen with them and all they did was uninstall all of the currupted fonts and now its working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here for many days... Adobe support isn't answering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to be on hold an hour or so. Did you wait? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the chat online, much more responsive and they can share your screen to find the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Big Sur last night, up until then didn't have barely any problems with Illustrator crashing. Then today I use it and in the space of like 6-7 mins it crashes twice and lost some work both times.....very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frustrating, certainly, but hardly surprising. This is entirely expected. It happens with every macOS upgrade. I hope you still have a live machine to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, i have an imac 2017 and installed big sur and illustrator 2021 doesnt open, i have to use the 2020 version, hopes they resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Customer Care, so they can look inside your system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a plug-in loading issue. Illustrator kept crashing. Using Creative Cloud, deleted the app and reinstalled. Illustrator is running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I just updated to Big Sur today and my illustrator keeps crashing like crazy or won't load images. I'm getting boxed out glitches that my screen is going black across parts of my artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Bridge is unusable and completely crashes my Mac since updating to Big Sur. Illustrator I'm getting the boxed out glitches of parts of my graphics disappearing and then reappearing when I zoom. Super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines