• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator crashes in windows 10 while using new repeat tool

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i use the grid repeat tool my illustrator keeps crashing after every minute. it's working fine with the mirror and radial repeat tool. 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences or even uninstalling and reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & Illustrator? Does it happen while working in a specific file or all? Have you tried disabling the GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance?

Additionally, you may follow this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) & see if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issue for months, and it's really frustrating. In somecases if I'm carful it never happens, but other times clicking on anything causes a crash.

I havent figured out what causes the issue to start but I have found that if it does happen and you are able to select anything without it crashing if you select the <Grid Repeat> layer and change it's opacity (for example from 100 to 50 then back to 100) this causes the selected <Grid Repeat> objects to get converted to <Clip Groups> and at least for me fixes the crashing issue altogather, it breakes the grids but better then the file contunisly crashing.

The below file is so broken it crashes if you look at it the wrong way. but if you are able to open it try changing the stroke of the <Cip Group> then try changing the stroke of the <Grid Repeat>

So my questions is, how do you properly complete a <Grid Repeat> so that is changes to a <Clip Group>?

Well I was going to upload an example of a broken file but the site wont even let me upload the AI file.

Call_Me_Hoss_0-1619203218551.png

I had to change the file extention to PDF. but opening it Illistrator still causes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't try you file yet.

So if I understand you correctly you want to expand the Repeat?

You can do that with Object > Expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. This has happened for literal months on numerous documents. Without fail, the Edit > Repeat > Grid function causes Illustrator to crash every time. Doesn't matter how simple or complex the shape. As soon as I engage the feature, the app crashes. Is there any update to this?!

System: Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, V 22H2

Illustrator CC, V 27.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I gave up on the feature and do it the old copy/paste way as last I checked it still failed and zero help from Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the time and nurmous times since I have tried resetting settings, not loading settings between versions and on fresh computers but I still have had the issue. Hopefully you get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I gave up on the feature and do it the old copy/paste way as last I checked it still failed and zero help from Adobe support.

By @Call_Me_Hoss

The old copy-paste way is really old and not very efficient.

You could use the transform effect or you could use Transform again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, the hours of wasted time on this made me go back to something I know works and did not cause the file to become corrupted, might not be the most efficient way but its fine for my workflow.

I'm no Illustrator pro but it's pretty frustrating when you try to do something that is documented and broken for months/years you don't hear anything from the developer. I spent a fair amount of time figuring out exactly how it breaks and even sent in an example file to support and heard exactly nothing back.

Maybe one day when I have some time I'll try the repeat tool again to see if it still randomly causes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SerightsAce @Call_Me_Hoss,

I'm so sorry to hear that the repeat tool is causing Illustrator to crash for you. I completely understand how frustrating & inconvenience this has caused, and we would like to work with you to find a solution.

@Call_Me_Hoss mentioned that you have had issues with the Grid Repeat tool for a while and have not received any help from our support. Would you mind providing us with your case number or the email address you used to contact us via DM, so we can investigate this further and see what went wrong?

You also mentioned that you have tried resetting preferences and not loading them between versions, but the issue still persists. If you are still able to replicate the issue, would you mind submitting the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html)?
While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

Also, it would be really helpful if you could share a sample file in which the issue is reproducible & a small screen recording demonstrating the issue, so we can take a closer look and try to replicate the issue on our end. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do appreciate your getting back to us on this. I originally had this issue 2 years ago and at the time in the post above, I included an example file then. https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-crashes-in-windows-10-while-using...

Since then I have simplified my workflow to not use repeated since it was costing me too much time in failed or corrupted files.

I did not take a screencast at the time and probably won't have a moment to double-check for a bit but I honestly don't recall the last version I checked but given this post is still alive I assume it's still broken.

I'll send my email address as a DM, I don't recall how I contacted support but I do recall How I contact support but I don't see an email, perhaps it was a chat or phone call?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Call_Me_Hoss,

Thank you for sharing your email with me via DM. I have checked our records, but I could not find any subscription or case related to the email address you provided.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to simplify your workflow and avoid using the repeat tool. However, I would like to make sure that you are not facing any further issues. Would you mind confirming if you are still experiencing the same issue with the old workflow? If yes, kindly share a sample file and a screen recording demonstrating the issue.

This will help us better understand the issue.

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to hearing back from you.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already spent the time I'm going to on this. If at some point I have some time I'll give it a try but at this point, I already posted a file and the current version still crashes. you just need to download the PDF, and I touched the <Clip Group>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Call_Me_Hoss,

Thank you for getting back to me. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I understand that you have already shared the file with us, but we are still unable to replicate the issue with that file. To better understand the problem, it would be helpful if you could share a screen recording of your workflow demonstrating the crash.

This will enable us to further investigate and identify the root cause of the issue. Please take your time and share the recording when you have the opportunity.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. We look forward to resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try and reset the preferences? Rename the folder since that can be undone.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen recording of super weird behavior on an object that used a radial repeat. The graphics dissapear or expand / contract in strange ways when you move it or drag it.

And then about 10 minutes after this, I tried to copy + paste and drag it somewhere else on my artboard and illustrator switched into outline mode and then crashed when I tried to switch back to normal preview mode.

Really disappointing to be dealing with this same stuff on the newest version of Illustrator, on a brand new mac studio with 96 GB RAM,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @erice56755769,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps? Also, check if pressing the Cmd+E keys on your keyboard helps alleviate the problem.

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, a sample file (https://adobe.ly/3P85Rmh), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3P8m7ns), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines