• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 + Mac El Capitan = Crashing!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue ever since installing El Capitan. When using Adobe Illustrator CS5, any time I attempt to use the Eyedropper tool, the program will crash as soon as I click on the object I'm trying to copy the color of.

I have noticed that I am able to use the eyedropper successfully ONLY when copying the color of a SOLID color object. If I attempt to copy the color of an object with a gradient-fill, or copy a color from an embedded image/photo, the crash is immediate.

The issue is happening on both my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) and my iMac (24-inch, Early 2008).

PLEASE help. I am very reliant on using Adobe Illustrator for my job.

Any advice will help, or if you are experiencing the same (or similar) issue let me know so I can avoid anything that will cause the crash!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

El Capitan is not a supported operating system for CS5.

Please refer to system requirements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 188 Replies 188
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've collected notes, from others, of fixes (below); some more complicated than others. I'm wondering if the just released 10.11.4 has made any difference.

Install Java SE 6 on El Capitan

Important.

Crash on exit:

this fix talks about:  Go to the folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManager and rename it CS5.5ServiceManager.bak

Well i tried that and it did't fix anything. But then i tried the same renaming at this path: Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManage and ....success. The crash on exit is now gone. for both InDesign and Illustrator

1. Right click the 'WSMgrCfg' folder, select 'Get info'
  2. Open 'Sharing and permissions'
  3. Change the permissions on your user account to 'Read only'.
  4. Enjoy life with working context menus

Just remember to change it back to 'Read & Write' once Adobe gets around to publishing a fix…

Quit Illustrator, empty the WSMgrCfg folder in preferences, the set the folder to Read Only.  No need to run a script.

Quit everything.  Hold down the OPITON key, and click on the GO menu.  Library will show.

find the preferences folder..then inside that the adobe illustrator 19 folder, then the en_us folder  and finally you'll see the WSMgrCfg folder.

this is how that drill down path is noted.

library/preferences/adobe...19/en_us/WSMgrCfg

empty the contents of the WSMgrCfg folder.

go back up one level to see the WSMgrCfg folder.. click once.. then apple/I or Get Info from the File menu will open up a window that will allow you to set the Privileges to READ ONLY.

close everything.. and it's fixed.

Illustrator CS5 crashing on exit

more information about this; it appears that whatever causes the crash is in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CS5ServiceManager/lib

changing the whole CS5ServiceManage folder to *.bak changes some of the preference options; for example, can't select document dimensions in inches (in InDesign). just changing the /lib sub-sub-subfolder to *.bak keeps every option I've wanted to use thus far. All that's in my /lib folder is CSXS-Installer-hook.dylib and ServiceManager-Launcher.dylib, so it's gotta be one of those.

Fonts not all displaying under Font Menu:

Also if the fonts don't show when you hit the drop down under paragraph or text selector.. --> the easy fix for this is to go under accessibility options and check the box for increase contrast. but this usually means you have a font that is in conflict with the default os font. "San Francisco" since the update its been added as a new default font for all mac os.

For the font problem go to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and check the box that says Reduce Transparency on the right.

Re: Photoshop CC 2015 is so slow it is unusable on my system:

I fixed mine!!

Preferences > Performance > Cache Levels = 4

Preferences > Scratch Disks = <select the disk where your images are stored>

Super-fast Photoshop now!

Dropper:

I'm running CS5 and El Capitan, and embedding the image allows the eyedropper to work perfectly in this environment.

I'm hoping Apple maybe patched the deprecated Carbon - or whatever-  to help out their users that otherwise will stick with an earlier OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Short Hills store. The "Genius" who worked on my computer did

everything and anything he could do. But, to no avail. Fact is Adobe is the problem. They no longer support their CS5 and

CS6 disk installable software. There is a reason for that - greed. This is not Apple's fault, it is Adobe's fault. But, I had no

choice but to buy the Creative Cloud. Not just because of this particular incident. It was making is difficult to share and edit

with clients. I appreciate everything Apple has done to help me. But, this was not an Apple problem. This was a problem with

Adobe not supporting their own products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Fact is Adobe is the problem…This is not Apple's fault, it is Adobe's fault…But, this was not an Apple problem. This was  a problem with Adobe not supporting their own products”.

Ok people, this has gone on long enough…

Adobe has done plenty to infuriate me:

- moved to Subscription only model

- removed support for correctly displaying placed DCS 2.0 files in Illustrator (for screen print color separations)

- removed ability to choose screen angle when printing from Photoshop (every screen printer using Photoshop was abandoned by Adobe on this)

- newer Image Trace feature in Illustrator SUCKS for tracing black & white line art (used weekly by me as a screen print designer)

- took away ability to download swatches from online Kuler / Color/ whatever

Adobe has made my job as a screen printer a nightmare, and they don’t care AT ALL.

They only care about web or screen-based design now. InDesign is great for layout, but all the functions I counted on as a screen printer of apparel is gone.

I pretty much hate Adobe and their "F You, customer! We mad changes and don't care what you think about it" culture, but they have the software I need to make my living.

That said, this “It’s Adobes fault, not Apples” mentality on this current situation is completely beyond me.

CS5 was released on April 30, 2010.

CS 5.5 was released on April 12, 2011.

CS6 was released on  April 23, 2012.

Snow Leopard 10.6 was released on June 9, 2008. (the last update 10.6.8 v1.1 on July 25, 2011)

Lion 10.7 on October 20, 2010.

Mountain Lion 10.8 on February 16, 2012.

Mavericks 10.9 on June 10, 2013.

Yosemite 10.10 June 2, 2014.

El Capitan 10.11 on June 8, 2015.

Since this particular forum is about CS5 and El Capitan, lets stick to that.

AI CS 5.5, currently one month away from being 5 years old, came with an installer that worked on Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

5 operating systems over 4 years.

Now, Apple “upgrades” the OS and changes the code, and the SAME ADOBE INSTALLER that installed the SAME ADOBE CODE that worked up until this point, suddenly does not work anymore.

Apple Code changed + Adobe code did not change = IT’S ADOBES FAULT???

WTF are you talking about!?!?

Should Adobe, in 2016, keep supporting software released in 2011 on an operating system that has had 5 major releases since that time?

- I don’t know. It would be nice, especially considering the cost of it.

Will they?

- NO. It is listed on the Adobe website as NOT SUPPORTED.

Now, people can have different opinions on the “should they” debate, but what is NOT up for debate is that the same code released by Adobe in 2011 worked on 5 straight Mac OSX versions, and when Apple then changes the code for the 6th release, and the same Adobe code no longer works…..

THAT IS APPLES FAULT!!!!!!!!

I think the online petition over this was absurd.

“I’m giving Adobe one last chance to redeem itself…” - WTFE.

Would I take a fix from adobe? - Hell yeah!

Is that gonna happen? - Hell no!

Is that “right”? - Thats and opinion

But for the millionth and last time…

Adobe code stayed the same,

Apples code changed,

Adobe product no longer works on Apple system….

Apples code changes caused this problem, not Adobe.

Good day, sir.

I SAID…. good day….

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mykill, sir, very good recap. Folk can google 'deprecated carbon' for what has likely caused this incompatibility.

Still, I'm wishing that 10.11.4 has included a patch that helps CS 5.5 Illustrator; because virtualizing http://goo.gl/mnozea or partitioning to run 10.9.5 and 10.11.4 on the same machine would be a drag. (I would like to avoid 10.10.)

I hope to hear from Plumlytics and others here after they've tried 10.11.4. (I see Plumlytics has already noted that Save and Dropper now work under 10.11.4. Thanks!) Does /lib sub-sub-subfolder still need to be changed to *.bak?

[Note: I would test and provide feedback, but I'm not an Illustrator user. I'm trying to support a user who wishes to update for other reasons, but is hesitant. The user isn't a power user with a work flow.  Affinity Designer is probably a solution, and I purchased it, but the user is hesitant here too.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely... I hope 10.11.4 is the fix we have been waiting for. I'm just as frustrated as anyone here with this debacle, I just think we should place the blame where it belongs. It just seems that continuing to blame Adobe and demand they offer a fix for software on an OS the plainly state the don't support is a waste of time and energy. I also think that if the 10.11.4 update DOES fix the problem, it's just more proof that this was an Apple made problem from the start

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is that of the Creative Suite users, and I think that both Apple and Adobe should get together and get it fixed for us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ping...

Q: Any new user feedback  from CS 5.5 users w/ 10.11.4? Illustrator users testing with recent 10.11.4 ? Results?

Crashing? Stable?

[Note: I would test and provide feedback, but I'm not an Illustrator user. I'm trying to support a user who wishes to update for other reasons, but is hesitant. The user isn't a power user with a work flow.  Affinity Designer is probably a solution, and I purchased it, but the user is hesitant here too.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes the dropper does not cause the crash with the beta version of el cap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to save a one-word text file using the short cut on the file save in El Capitan 10.11.4, and it crashed Illustrator CS4.  Same as the old version.  I was hoping for  a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, had the same problem, quitting AI (AI CS5.1) I got a crash report each time after having upgraded to El Capitan (CRAPitan) (10.11.4). Of course, before AI would start at all, one had to install 'javaforosx.dmg' (downloaded from Apple).

Coming to this forum I did what suggested:

I)

Rename "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManager" to "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManager.bak".

[NOT "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManager" ! That did not help - of course, if it did, one would need to do so for ALL users!]

I have no idea, however, what is discussing with respect to this "WSMgrCfg" file or

"ibrary/preferences/adobe...19/en_us/WSMgrCfg" - can't find these folders/files at all.

II)

Fonts not all displaying under Font Menu

Yes, having read this in 's comment, I can confirm this problem - and the solution of  :

open: "System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" ->"Display", there check the box that says "Reduce Transparency".

Works immediately without AI even having to close/open.

III)

A Photoshop CS5.1

In my case, the settings were already as suggested: Preferences > Performance > Cache Levels = 4,

Preferences > Scratch Disks = <local disk where all my system/user data is on>

iV)

Eyedropper

For me, this worked fine (e.g. do like described here by Adobe: "It's easy to reuse color attributes already applied to an object. Select a shape you'd like to apply color to, then select the Eyedropper tool and click a colored object to sample its color and apply it to the selected object."

So, thanks for the help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 10.11.4 update has solved the Illustrator gradient fill/eyedropper issue with CS5.

Hope that cheers up a few legacy Adobe users around here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://capitalmacservice.com/possible-fix-for-mac-adobe-illustrator-cs5-crash-on-exit/

Try this possible fix for Adobe Illustrator CS5 crashing on exit:

1. First, make sure Adobe Illustrator is not running. Now, head to your user library folder on the Mac. This is accomplished by holding down the option key on your keyboard and choosing the “Go” menu from the Mac OS X Finder’s menubar.
  2. Choose “Library” from the pop-down menu and release the Option key.
  3. Find the “Application Support” folder and double-click into it.
  4. Find the “Adobe” folder and double-click into it.
  5. Find the folder called “CS5ServiceManager” and click on the title of this folder.
  6. At this point, you should be able to rename this “CS5ServiceManager” folder, by adding “.bak” to the end of it. So now, you will have a folder called “CS5ServiceManager.bak”. Close this window and head to the next step.
  7. Head to the main hard drive by clicking on the Finder’s “Go” menu and choose “Computer
  8. Find the “Library” folder and double-click into it.
  9. Find the “Application Support” folder and double-click into it, the same as earlier.
  10. Find the “Adobe” folder and double-click into it, the same as earlier.
  11. Find the folder called “CS5ServiceManager” and click on the title of this folder.
  12. Rename the folder again to “CS5ServiceManager.bak” and exit this folder.

At this point, Adobe Illustrator CS5 can be launched as usual. Feel free to open a few documents and make some changes to the preferences area. Try to quit the program as usual and notice if it throws the same crash as it did before. After we did these steps exactly, the crashing stopped and the preferences are now saved perfectly once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow this was simple and really helped! Illustrator stopped crashing on quit. Happy!

(Haven´t tested them a lot yet, but tested to save a file and Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign now worked without crashing on quit.)

I have El Capitan 10.11.6 and CS5 and Java 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had the same problem with Creative Cloud and after months of searching the web found the solution that worked for me. Figured I had a duty to help others since fellow users on the Web helped me

I know you said 5 so possible it won't work, but if you're still frustrated, it's worth a try, right?

I fixed mine a month ago by resetting both PRAM and SMC. You can find instructions via Google for your Mac easily. This did the trick for me when nothing else worked.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines