• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 - Lagging - extremely slow!!

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one experinced CS6 Illustrator lagging and responding extremely slow. For example if I try to move a vector graphic it takes a few seconds before it re-freshes and updates. That goes for about everything re-sizing, moving, editing.....

I know it's not my computer. CS5 worked great. My computer is a Mac Pro running with 16GB of ram and solid state drives.

Any one have any suggestions??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just try unchecking the GPU Performance . its worked for me on Illustrator CC 2015.

also Windows 10 OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this may be a viable, temporary workaround; but it isn't acceptable. I'm a graphic designer, trying to make a living creating graphics in Adobe Illustrator. I have spent large amounts of money on both my PC and this software, and now in order to create graphics, I need to disable my hardware designed to handle this. Beautiful.

I really wish Adobe would give me the usable software that I am paying hard earned money for.

And before anyone asks (since I'm new here):
AMD FX 8350 8-core (4GHz)
nVidia GTX 970
16GB RAM
both disks are SSD
Windows 10 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right there with ya buddy. The struggle is real and I'm sick of forking over nearly $600 a year and getting little to nowhere due to so many problems with this software. It's a powerful suite if you by chance have a monstrous rig that can chew up ram and cpu like it's nothing. But not everyone has that, we normal humans have a decent setup. I myself have a 3500 laptop with all the essentials I'll ever need to run vector work. Still getting the major lag.... no excuse because it's the 3rd laptop in switched out because I suspected it was internal issues. Obviously that theory has been tested and disproven. Adobe told me the same thing today...turn off GPU...sure, maybe I should just design on my android phone Whole I'm at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear your frsutration....I have a brand new imac, about 2 months old, 2nd top and illustrator and indesign are still lagging, I am not sure if this is an apple issue or adobe issue, this is very frustrating.   I thought imac was supposed to run CC the most efficiently.  I am studying Design and I was told we had to purchase a Mac.. I have never experienced lagging like this and I supposedly have the best machine to run the software. GRRRRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, and I can't use Illustrator CC 2015 as I used to use Illustrator CS2 in my old Mac. I want to comeback to my old system. I try to unchecking GPU and doesn't work for me. I'm drawing and to move it take 2 seconds!!! Sooo stressful. The same to save the document. C'mon ADOBE! Something is not working well with your programs. Help me, please. Sorry my poor english. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. MacBook Pro 13" (late 2013 i7)

It's so annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated at seeing the same thing on my PC! The program starts off blazingly fast and then proceeds to slow down more and more as I use it. After about 2 hours, it becomes really noticeable and if I try to save my work, it will crash. I haven't lost any work so far but having to restart Illustrator every hour or so is really interrupting my workflow.

What's weird is, when Illustrator slows down my whole PC slows down too. It's not related to RAM or system specs since I'm running a pretty beefy PC:

i7 6700

8GB

Geforce GTX 980 Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue here, Core i7, CPU 2.30 GHz, 16GB installed RAM, Win 7.

Everything literally slows down to a halt and is extremely unbearable to finish anything simple in this program. I've done the uninstall - reinstall bit, I feel there is something extremely corrupt with Illustrator for this many people having the same issue...nothing has been updated with the GPU performance utilization on adobe's end for years now. Whats the deal here? I am working on simple stuff that doesn't require much yet it is slowing down to a creep. I don't have this experience on Photoshop or any other program, I dont have a virus or malware noticeable. the one thing that I can't verify is this Adobe CEF helper that is running in my processes. Otherwise I dont comprehend what could be causing this. If Adobe refuses to address this people will just simple stop using the suite. No sweat off our backs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02.  I just solved my extreme lag issue (sometimes waiting 15-20 seconds just to wait for a pan/zoom or resizing an object. After MUCH troubleshooting i realized what the problem was....when manipulating anything I noticed the Navigator window/panel itself would freeze up and take quite a long time to redraw its little thumbnail.  So I turned off the window/panel, BOOM, everything was lightning fast again.  I re-enabled it, slow as hell again.

Hope this helps!

- Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, tried all sorts, streamlining fonts, usual suspects etc. Still the same. C'mon Adobe, its soul destroying watching a spinning wheel on a pretty new imac, good memory, latest software...enough said. Sort this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an okay workaround, not a solution, but it can get you through things when you don't have the time to sit.

Try saving your .ai file, then Save As an .eps file on your desktop. Work off of the .eps file then when you are ready to send it off or whatever you want, just save it as an .ai again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the difference between an eps and ai?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ep927  schrieb

What's the difference between an eps and ai?

EPS is an outdated file format that hasn't been updated in this century. It can be written and read by several applications.

Encapsulated PostScript - Wikipedia

It should be treated carefully when saved from Illustrator:

EPS – the Zombie among file formats

AI is Illustrator's native, proprietary file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same issues now in CC 2015, working with (slightly complex) files that ran smoothly in 2014. Tried all proposed solutions suggested when googling 'Illustrator lag', nothing seems to make any difference.

If you ask me, it's a bug, arising at some stage since 2014 (and perhaps repeatedly since 2012?).
Pretty silly if we all have to use RyanUnger01's workaround, but I'll give it a whirl until Adobe fixes their CC 2015. I'll let you know if it helps in my case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have now tried RyanUnger01's workaround, with no visible effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me on windows 10pc. New computer - 64gb ram.

I've switched off the windows menu bar as recommended above - to test. Thanks Kevin

I've heard from my PC supplier that SSD scratch discs might be to blame. I'd prefer not to have to buy a dedi drive obviously - especially without knowing it's a fix.

Round of beers for whoever comes up with the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now fixed this issue on my Windows 10 machine by unticking "GPU performance" in preferences. It's a shame since I have a GTX 980 Ti and Illustrator ran like butter on it (when it was working).

Same thing might work for Mac users.

Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find this option in Preferences or wherever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound a bit left field but I have been having the same issue with Illustrator CC 2015 (and the same with PS CC 2015).

I found that by switching to full screen mode (press F on the keyboard) there is a huge improvement on my machine. (Goes from unusable to pretty decent)

Not sure if that works for anyone else but am keen to see if anyone can seen the same improvement?

Let us know.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi -

It seems like the event logging / reporting feature of windows page file is related to, not just illustrator, but many programs' delayed response time on windows 10. For systems with a generous amount of RAM (I would say 16GB or more), disabling windows page file could bring a significant improvement. It means the gradual slow down of Illustrator is not related to the size of clipboard, nor toggling the screen mode.

Try following:

computer - properties - advanced system settings - performance (advanced tab) - virtual memory (advanced tab)

choose "no page file" and click "set"

restart the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with 64 gigs of ram. It is not my computer. Unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully solved my sluggish problem by selecting (the offending) shape going to 'Stroke' panel and check that no shape in your drawing is having a stroke aligned to 'inside'. You may align the stroke to outside, you may align the stroke to 'center'. But not inside.

Whenever I aligned the stroke to inside, my drawing/illustration went so sluggish that it wasn't possible for me to work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I found that turning off smart guides (view>smart guides) cleared up the lag problems i was having with complicated designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone
I got good results working in outline mode.
Also observed if you work Preview on CPU is slower than Preview on GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I think i find a problem and fix it . all time my illustrator become very slow, i have 64 GB ram and my PC is also very high configuration also i have WACOM pen display . All i find that the color profile problem make the illustrator slow when you work long time. Also i see that the when i work with Spot color this make illustrator slow also drawing and also oping file. so please set your color profile correctly with your monitor profile and set your graphic card  all option Off it will give you a Good result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines