• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator default stroke settings

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press the D key in Illustrator, the path will automatically become an Inside stroke.How to change it?

Illustrator CC2018,CC2019

thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

In order to change this, you will need to edit the default graphic style.

Make a rectangle with the stroke you want and then drag it over the default graphic style while pressing the ALT key.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to change this, you will need to edit the default graphic style.

Make a rectangle with the stroke you want and then drag it over the default graphic style while pressing the ALT key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nice while within the same document. However, the change doesn't change a program setting. 

My prference would be to change the default to NOT have a stroke on, I'm fine with fill color standing white. Then, I would like that to be my default new object draw for each first object in each new file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defaults can be changed by editing a New Document Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know! However, still less than ideal. I'd have to do one for every document size I could think of. My perference would be to edit the system default to not have the stroke to begin with and it apply that to all documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No for print docoments, you only need to edit the Print.ai preset, size is added to that during document creation. If you also work in RGB, you will need to edit the Art & Illustration.ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh that is great then! I work in both so I'll adjust botha dn give it a go, thanks Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm oddly not working for me, I updated both Print.ai and Web.ai that were here: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2023/Support Files/New Document Profiles/en_US/

But after restarting Illustrator and creating new Print or Web document default is still black border. If I double click and open those AI files in that profiles folder, they open with the new non-border start. just doesn't seem to be getting picked up via, New Document create. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another set of new document profiles in your User folder in Application support > Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I ran into the same problem, there are actually 2 folders for New Document Profiles, but it is a little messy. When you change a file in the Application folder and the file also exists in the other location, it does not get updated there 😞

When you create a file with a slightly different name, the file does not exist in the other location and Illustrator will use that.

When you change a file in a Mac system: Username > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Illustrator 27 > Your language folder > New Document Profiles > Print.ai it should work. I prefer to set my Preferences > General to Use legacy "New File" interface, but the newer way should work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh redundancy! Its not just for rocket ships and power at colocation data centers anymore! lol Thanks for the tip, it felt like it was ignorring me when changing in one place. I'll try again tomorrow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stoked! It worked! Thanks for the infomation Ton (you as well Monika) as this little annoyance is now finally a non-issue. One thing that was a pleasent surprise is that even if a change is made, and that default of Print or Web switches to (Custom) it still inherits the graphic style which is nice. 

I made another adjustment with New document profiles that I've wanted to do using the same technique. By defualt Print would set general units to Points where as I prefer inches. I was able to change that on the template and boom, new files start with units in inches. 

I too prefer the Legacy interface and usually always switch back to those where they still allow us to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH, final question. Do these templates stay in place and untouched through an app update? Just curious about keeping a back up set of the tempates (planning on anyways) but I do have a short list of things that updates wipe out when Photoshop and Illustrator update so curious if this will be one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should definitely keep a backup of them outside of those folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They tend to stay during updates for me (but I don't let my Preferences get wiped during an app update), but as Monika recommended, it is always good to make backups of things you have customized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines