• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator - Export PDF Color Problem

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I am trying to prepare a design. I add a grain effect to the rectangle in the background of my design. Then when I try to export it as PDF, I get a terrible result. I took a screenshot from both Illustrator and the PDF file to make sure the problem was in my eyes. But as you can see in the attachment, my design in the PDF file looks awful. I've looked at solved threads and videos related to this.

I tried Adding All Profiles when exporting, I tried selecting High Quality from the top. It exported the PDF image horribly every time, even though I tried it many times in different variations. How can I fix this problem?

Can you please help with this problem?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Again, If you set your Illustrator Preferences > Appearance of Black > On Screen to Display all Blacks Accurately, you will get what you see in Acrobat.

That said, I don't think you will notice the grain effect at that very small size size in print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

There is nothing wrong with combining vectors and images. Applying the grain effect would result in an image anyway. Photoshop gives more control over these textures, but choosing the right paper can give you something similar. Talk to your printer, he can show you some samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks @Monika Gause I hope linking to an external download site is not prohibited by forum rules. Unfortunately, Adobe does not allow sharing of its own files on its forum. That's why I'm sharing the file with you so you can see it. As I understand it, I am doing everything apparently right. But I still get a grayed out output as a result. Illustrator PDF Export Problem AI File 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who works in the print world, what you are attempting is not printable. There is so little difference in the values of the "grain" and the pattern is so fine that no matter how it appears to you now that they will never show on paper, especially after they are halftoned for print, whether by traditional haftone or stochastic dot printing. You are fighting a losing battle here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I already mentioned that earlier "I don't think you will notice the grain effect at that very small size size in print. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Honestly, I wanted it to look like the pictures I added here. But as far as I understand it cannot be done with Gren. I haven't contacted the printer yet. But I hope that I will get a clear idea about this when I talk. And I will design my design accordingly then.

Thanks again for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yah, what you see there is merely the surface of the paper they used to print those cards. It appears to be a very thick paper with a high rag content (i.e. not smooth with lots of fibers showing). The background is either printed a solid black or the paper itself has been dyed that colour at the factory (since the edges do not show any white). Talk to your printer about what you want to accomplish. They might be able to suggest ways that work for them and you. You can certainly get paper like that, but it would be a pretty pricey ticket item, and limits what you can do with it (hence why those cards are foil stamped and not printed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines