• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator file lagging after being open too long

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently been encoutering a really frustrating issue where some files I'm working on will start lagging after working on it for about an hour and I will have to quit the program and re-open to fix it. They're not very large files (about 1.2MB) and I already did all the tips I know to make the file small and program run faster including checking the GPU performance settings, unchecking pdf compatible file when saving and updating to latest version of illustrator. The only thing I can think of that would be weird is that I am working with another designer's vector files and they are using Corel Draw which often causes issues (mostly fonts/lines not being connected and stuff like that). Is there any way I can fix the performance or is the file just doomed from using art created in a different software?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Try selecting all and putting in a new document. This is an easier way to get rid of some problematic Corel code that may reside in the headers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any system info we can't even guess what the problem might be, but of course these days there's a million thing going on on any given computer at the same time, so this must not necessarily be an AI issue even. That said, start by purging the history/ undo queue every now and then and clean out the swap files. anything more will require better info.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'll start there! What are swap files and how do you clean them out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of OS & Illustrator are you using? Make sure they are compatible with each other.

Illustrator system requirements | earlier releases

How much RAM do you have? You may be booting more apps and running out of ram as time goes on. 

OOBE RESET MAC

1. Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app  (100% you must do this)
  2. The \Users\<user folder>\Library\ is hidden by default for macOS 10.7 and above. Option click on the GO in the mac finder to reveal the Library folder.
  3. /Users/<user folder>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
  4. Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.

OOBE RESET WIN

Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app  (100% you must do this)

C:\Users\<user folder>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE 

The AppData folder is hidden in Windows by default. See Show hidden files, folders, filename extensions | Windows for instructions to access it.

Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.

Restart the computer and launch the Creative Cloud desktop app again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I already tried this and it didn't work 😞 but thanks for the advice anyways this has saved me a ton of times in the past!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting all and putting in a new document. This is an easier way to get rid of some problematic Corel code that may reside in the headers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that worked, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How often are you saving?

Its not a matter of file size - it has to do with the number of vectors and points in the document.

Add to that if you have any raster effects applied and it can begin to bog down.

What OS and how much free HD space on your local HD do you have.

What happens to performance if you switch to Outline mode (View>Outline Mode)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would show you a picture to help explain but unfortunately it's NDA work so I can't, it's a guide to build something so it's mostly just rectangles and colours, a few gradients but overall not a lot going on, no other effects like drop shadows or glows. My computer OS is Mac Monterey v.12.3.1 and I have about 1TB of free space on the local hardrive. I didn't actually check outline mode when it was freezing but if it happens again I'll give it a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @BiancaDoodle,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Kevin, Mike, and Mylenium helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try the suggestions shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html) and share your observations.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines