• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator files disappeared after installing new version / unistalling old version of illustrator

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help!? I recently installed the newest version of illustrator.  Everything was working ok...for some reason though, when I did the update...I now had two versions of Illustrator on my computer.  Everything was working fine...UNTIL I decided to uninstall the older version of Illustrator.  Cause why would I need two version on my computer, right??

As soon as I unistalled the old version, All my Illustrator files on my computer disapeared!!!  They are nowhere to be found on my computer!! ALSO...if I try to save a file in .ai format it will not show up on my computer!! WTH....BUT...if I save as a pdf or other format, THEN it does show up on my computer??? 

Can someone please help to shed some light on this issue...it is really strange and I am worried all my ai files have been vaporized into thin air.

thank for your time!

Joseph

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

I contacted support.  They fixed the problem by taking over my computer.  They were very quick and helpful!

So somehow my illustrator files were hiding because of a setting that converted my .ai files to appear as photoshop files.  BUT, I what's wierd is the files didn't even appear as photoshop files. They just dissapeared.

The tech support was able to identify the problem right away and adjust the settings.  Thank goodness for adobe support!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you save those files? They should not get deleted when you delete the old version. Did you also update the system? Recent Mac OS updates could indeed erase files.

About saving those files: the most recent version 24.0.1 should correct that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many illustrator files saved on computer(which is a PC / using windows 10). I did not do any recent updates on my PC.  Anywhere I go to look for an .ai file, they are NOWHERE to be found.  Not in a folders, desktop, nowhere:( 

Yes, the version 24.0.1 is the version I just installed.  I tried reinstalling the old version and restarting my computer...still no files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Maybe the .ai files were linked with the Illustrator version that you removed and now you can see the icon of the correct file. You can try making the associate of the .ai extension with the Illustrator version that you keep. Or remove that version and reinstall again.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn’t need to search. Exactly where were you saving the files? Look there. If you don’t know where you’re saving you’re sure to lose stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn’t need to search if there were any files where they were before: desktop, in folders, etc. I’m talking about 100’s of files throughout my computer. There are no .ai files ANYWHERE.
Also did you read the part where I stayed I ALSO CAN’T SAVE ANYTHING as an .ai file? I can save as .ai, but it doesn’t show up where I save it! The files I save only appear if I save them as pdf or eps. ITS SO STRANGE:/

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the uninstaller from Adobe, like "Uninstall Adobe Illustrator 2019" or another utility?

Did you contact Adobe support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted support.  They fixed the problem by taking over my computer.  They were very quick and helpful!

So somehow my illustrator files were hiding because of a setting that converted my .ai files to appear as photoshop files.  BUT, I what's wierd is the files didn't even appear as photoshop files. They just dissapeared.

The tech support was able to identify the problem right away and adjust the settings.  Thank goodness for adobe support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I am facing the same issue and the tech support is really unable to help! So sad to hear that they simply said contact your hard drive manufacturer!!! Ridiculous! Could you please help me understand how did they solve it?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange indeed. I suggest this idea. Make a new folder. Save a big AI file to it. Do you see the file? Ok, now do a Get Info on the folder. What size does it show? 0, or a respectable size including the (invisible) AI File?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So somehow my illustrator files were hiding because of a setting that converted my .ai files to appear as photoshop files.  BUT, what's wierd is the files didn't even appear as photoshop files. They just dissapeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What number did you call?  I have been leaving messages for over two weeks.  No one calls back.  I have been work a bit with someone on line from adobe but, it's like playing battleship.  Nope that did not work.  I need someone to help like you recieved. 

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want them to log into your system, contact them via the chat on the support page. It won't work over the phone.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that Adobe support could fix your problem so quickly!

But I am curious to know what setting they changed to fix it.

That may help others with your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could tell you.  I asked the tech support to show me what they did. But after they adjusted the setting, they were no longer able to demonstrate what they did.  

If anything like this ever happens, I would defenitly recomend calling support.  They are very fast and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and the Adobe support told me they can't do anything!!! Even if I showed them this thread and they said that they can't rely to this because it's from a user and not adobe support 
THAT'S CRAZY. Thank you adobe for not letting me in my files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you did exactly what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! 😞 I'm having this exact problem. Tons and tons of work and files lost. All files from the same year as the uninstalled application versions. Contacted support and they said there was nothin they could do. I referenced this thread and they told me it was impossible. 😞 Now I don't know what to do. I need these files. I didn't realize they were missing before my latest hard drive backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This remains baffling for most of us (can't even understand what you're saying). So, where EXACTLY did you save them? What named folder? And what is in that folder today? OR, did you just use the recent files list in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a folder full of fabric patterns and their components. Both .ai and .psd files. They were in a folder within my documents folder. I downloaded Photoshop and Illustrator 2020 versions, uninstalled the 2019 applications. I still have .psd files from prior years and from the current year, but all 2019 files have vanished. The whole folder is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the whole folder, has disappeared from inside Documents?

Not year related but one whole folder?

This is your normal Documents folder (same as we all have), and other folders and files are still there?

What was the EXACT full name of this folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That I am aware, all other files are present. I can still access things from 2019. Yes, the normal document folder. I still have the "mother" folder titled "Textiles," but the folders within that which housed the work are gone. It's two folders missing, I believe, one titled "Time for Tea" and one titled "Strands of Strength". There may be other missing work that I'm not realizing also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you update? Only Illustrator or the system as well?

What did you do when making the backup?

And you are looking for the files on your hard drive? Or in the recent files?

And there is no backup? One year without a backup? No Time Machine running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't update. I downloaded the newer versions of the apps and uninstalled the old versions. 

To be honest, I don't backup very often. I may have had a backup on my external hard drive, but I recently let my husband erase it and use it for his computer. I figured I needed to make an updated backup anyway. I didn't realize these files were missing, of course. Not backing up the important files is my own fault. 

I have looked all over my computer's hard drive. I even did a lost file retrieval search and they didn't show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have Lightroom as well?

Or the Textile Designer plugin for Photoshop?

https://blog.adobe.com/en/2019/05/10/adobe-textile-designer-plugin-for-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines