• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is completely unusable on a fresh macOS Mojave install + new MacBook

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the latest Illustrator 23.0.1 on a fresh macOS Mojave on a 2018 MacBook Pro, and Illustrator fails even with the most basic functionality, the Selection Tool.

The program is unusable (literally), because an object cannot be selected without moving the object to new or random location after a random delay.

When I select an object with the Selection Tool:

A) IF I SELECT AN OBJECT AND THEN MOVE THE MOUSE

• there is a delay of between 1 and 2 seconds
  • after 2 seconds the selected object jumps to some position related to my cursor

*or*

• after 2 seconds the selected object jumps to a random location somewhere on the canvas, unrelated my cursor

B) IF I SELECT AN OBJECT, AND THEN DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE AT ALL

• The beach ball starts spinning
  • CPU usage goes to maximum
  • there is a delay of 4-6 seconds
  • after 4-6 seconds, the object is selected

I am unable to do anything at all in the program. Most of the user interface is fully working, but the (V) tool fails.

I cannot believe Adobe charges a monthly for Illustrator. My mind is blown by this and I'm not sure how this program can be taken seriously because it is lower quality than the freeware available online. This is a large commercial codebase, you would never expect such low quality and such obvious bugs at that level. Are you even kidding Adobe? How can you charge monthly for this? This is the worst Vector program I have ever used, you haven't even managed to get past the first steps of a working Selection Tool / V key?

I am not having any problems with any other apps installed from any other companies. All the vector programs work perfectly. It's only Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Hi there,

Looks like we need to troubleshoot this issue on the system level. Please go here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/support.html and initiate chat.

In case you face any issue while initiating the chat, please refer to this: https://indd.adobe.com/view/71f09a02-3841-4249-b701-14276522cf0e

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facts

• I installed 40 apps/programs on the new macOS setup.
  • 39 programs from different companies worked successfully without issue.
  • Adobe Illustrator has the highest cost of ownership of any of the 40 programs.
  • Adobe was the only company that failed.
  • I have a deadline and I require vector work to be completed by this deadline.
  • I was prepared to purchase "Adobe Products"
  • I tried the "Adobe Products"
  • The deadline is non-optional, therefore I cannot wait for a reply from Adobe to make "Adobe Products" functional.
  • Because Adobe Illustrator was unable to function, I am now using 2 competitor's products instead.
  • Both products are allowing me to get my job done. I have purchased one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try and turn off the Mac OS dictation feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled macOS Dictation and Siri, and restarted Illustrator.

It does not resolve the problem.

Selection

• When I select objects by making a rectangular selection, there is no delay and the objects do not around jump randomly.
  • It only fails when I click on the object.

There's other strange behaviors occurring but I did not describe them all.

I can see that you've suggested a fix from the other thread posted at Illustrator CC 2019 completely unusable

His description:

things whizz around the screen when the mouse moves; double clicking to select text fails; there is such a lag between mouse clicks that random stuff happens when they finally register; selection boxes suddenly generate when the mouse moves; and so many other glitchy/buggy/broken things that aren't recorded here that make this utterly unusable.

is a good description of Illustrator.

However, he was working upon text operations and text input - where Dictation is relevant.

But the failure is with simple selection of objects using the (V) tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have any very specific pointer hardware? A graphic tablet? Incompatible Wacom drivers lingering around that might have carried over from some other install?

Which other software is running at the moment? We have seen all kinds of apps colliding with all kinds of functions, even browsers, online banking, e-mail clients ... can you restart the computer, turn off everything and then launch only Illustrator?

Did you perhaps migrate your user account from a previously used computer? That might corrupt the complete account.

These are just to find out what is colliding there. After finding out, you will need to decide what to do with that information.

Someone might even need to have a look at your system in order to find out the issue.

But that wn't happen on a weekend. Please contact Customer Care via the chat option on this page: Contact Customer Care

If the page desn't work tomorrow or the issue can't get solved, please reply in this thread again. We can't help with these individual issues on the forum, because we can't login and there are often so many individual variables in this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a default MacBook Pro without any external devices or any hardware.

No other software is running except for Google Chrome.

No drivers have ever been installed.

No version of any Adobe product has ever been installed.

No user account was migrated.

I will try your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do also turn off Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. It's a Macook, not a MacBook Pro?

2. How much RAM do you have installed?

3. Have you done all of the updates to your OS?

4. Did you do OS updates before or after installing Illustrator?

There seems to be some major issues with Mojave for many Adobe products. And its actually something messed up with Mojave and not the Adobe products. If you did your updates to the OS after installing Illustrator, you might want to uninstall illustrator, check you OS updates for any more of them, then reinstall Illustrator. Its seeming to have issues with the order things are done with Illustrator and Photoshop and Lightroom. (not sure about other applications at the moment...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

1. MacBook Pro

2. 16 GB of RAM

3. macOS has been updated to the latest version of Mojave 10.14.2

4. All macOS updates were performed before installing any Adobe software

Monika,

The Chrome makes no difference. Illustrator has the same behavior after a reboot of macOS with no programs running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are extremely sorry to hear about this issue. I would request if you can try these steps and share results:

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

The objects are jumping around before loading or saving any file. All I have to do is create a new document and draw a box and try to select it.

All permissions for Preferences and Application Support are correct with Read/Write for the user, and running as root did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Looks like we need to troubleshoot this issue on the system level. Please go here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/support.html and initiate chat.

In case you face any issue while initiating the chat, please refer to this: https://indd.adobe.com/view/71f09a02-3841-4249-b701-14276522cf0e

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread closed, resolved by support. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did they resolve it, for the sake of future forum users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue could you help me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the user never replied, the best thing you can do is contact support yourself. Give them as much information as possible and reference this thread.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug, I'll do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same selection issue in Illustrator and also applying colors from swatches palette in InDesign doesn't work I don't know if both issues are related but this is very very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @10001252827536819qecs,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing selection issues in Illustrator and difficulties applying colors from the swatches palette in InDesign. These kinds of issues can indeed be very frustrating, especially when they impact your workflow.

Regarding the selection issue in Illustrator, it's possible that third-party apps like Magnet or BetterSnapTool could be causing interference. I'd recommend trying to close these apps while using Illustrator to see if that helps alleviate the problem.

For the color application issue in InDesign, it's essential to ensure that there are no conflicting settings or plugins that might be causing the problem.

Sometimes, running the application in safe mode can help diagnose and isolate issues related to third-party interference. You can try running Illustrator in safe mode to see if it functions properly without any external influences.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines