• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Is de-saturating my imported images

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been working on a project for a client, and I've been importing png images into this document without issues from procreate, in PNG format. Then on my latest image, the PNG file was desaturated, in JPG too, I havnt changed any export setting on Procreate or changed anything on the document on Illustrator. My previous images still look the same if I import them now.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

This one has not changed because it does not contain those bright RGB colors you had in your other image.

All (or most) of the colors in this image can be reproduced in CMYK and that's why you won't see a color shift when you place this RGB image in a CMYK document. It gets converted, but the beauty of color management keeps the color impression consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because your Illustrator document is CMYK and PNG files are RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, But why have not of my other images done the same thing? I added 3 PMG files, 2 from procreate, one from Photoshop, and the came out fine, then on the same Illustrator document, this latest file from Procreate is desaturated. But the other images have not changed. I havnt changed anything (That I'm aware of).

I also tried to rexport the Procreate file in photoshop and the same thing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your other Illustrator files were in RGB mode. Your example is a very clear case of RGB colors converted to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this was all on the same file? how can I change this so it wont happen again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you going to use the files for printing?

In that case there's no way to prevent this.

If you are not going to print this stuff and will only show it on screen, then work in RGB color mode in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, These will be printed, they are designs for bike jerseys. But I'm still confused as to why on the same document, my last 3 PNG files I imported didnt change, (and still dont change) But this latest file (which was exported in the same way), on the same illustator document, has come out desaturdated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All your RGB images will be converted to CMYK when you place them in a CMYK document.

That does not mean that the change has to be very visible, you will not notice it when the RGB colors are reproducable with CMYK inks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is the same document, and a image that has remained the same colour. Why has this one not changed? Also how can I prevent this from happening? do I need to change my export settings? or the document setting of the Illustratior document I'm importing to? 

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.18.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrary to your current design, those older images have colors that can be printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one has not changed because it does not contain those bright RGB colors you had in your other image.

All (or most) of the colors in this image can be reproduced in CMYK and that's why you won't see a color shift when you place this RGB image in a CMYK document. It gets converted, but the beauty of color management keeps the color impression consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok I understand now, Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines