• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is not saving correctly and keeps crashing on my Mac.

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is working terribly on my end lately. Ever since last month I have been having serious bugs when using it, the worst one it's the fake saving. I hit cmd+S as I normally would, the files seems to be saving as always. I close the file and whenever I open it again to keep working it's an old version. 

This combined with several crashes it's making my working life miserable. My illustrator has crashed for:
- Using the gradient tool

- Just saving the file

- Using the pen tool

- Moving objects

- Using the text tool

It really doesn't matter what I'm doing it just crashes. I do not know what is happening but I would appreciate any help here, it's been really hard to keep up with deadlines with this bugs.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the text tool: How many fonts are installed in your system?

Does your system meet the requirements? https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html 

As for the crashing: you could try resetting the preferences https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

But you could also contact Customer care to have them check out your system: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

As for the saving: Sounds like turning off "Save in Background" in the Preferences could solve that part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica! Thank you for answering! 🙏🏻

I use mostly Adobe Fonts, I only have installed 228 fonts. I own a Macbook Pro 15'' 2018 - 16g RAM - 4 GB Radeon Pro 560X. It seems to be some weird issue with one of the last updates, maybe compatibility? I'm not exactly sure.

Regarding the saving I turn it on & off the 'save in background' option but it kept on happening and its very random, it's hard to know when the program saved correctly the file and when it was just an 'illusion'. I started saving thrice to avoid  the error but is not sustainable. I also don't really know if the problem it's when the program saves the file or when it reads the saved file and brings up and old version. I google this issue and it's seems to be something that happened a few years ago to some users too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way saving does not work for you is typical for "Save in background" issues. I would recommend that you leave it off.

As for the other issues. maybe contact Customer Care. Do you use font management? The type tool really shouldn't lead to crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Ciellchan ,

Sorry to hear about the problem. In addition to the steps provided above could you please share a few details like:

• Exact version of the OS and Illustrator
  • Since when are you facing this problem?
  • Have you tried resetting the preferences for Illustrator as suggested above?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article. 
  • Have you tried validating your fonts in Font Book? Are you using a 3rd party Font Manager app?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines