• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Is taking up all the space on my hard drive! Help!

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys.  I am extremely confused as  to why my hard drive keeps filling up. I set my scratch disk to my 4TB external hard drive a week ago and had150GB on my C drive and within 7 days I had no space again. I checked where the supposed cache is located and nothing was there. Any advice would be appreciated thank you. 

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nick Cigarella ,

AFAIK, Illusrator doesn't have a dedicated cache location like the video apps. It stores data temporarily in the %temp% folder.

Use a disk space visualizer to see where your storage is going to.

https://lifehacker.com/the-best-disk-space-analyzer-for-windows-5915921

Let us know how you go

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for responding. I looked here and theres only 500mb of files in  there.. I'm not sure if it's illustrator or photoshop but something is eating my drive pretty fast and I cant find where the space is going. Where are  cache/ temp  files located for both illustrator and ps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the Illustrator settings which you mean by "setting my scratch disk". 

You really need to know what is on your disk and where the space is used up - you can't control what you aren't looking at. Could be anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. My set-up: Late 2013 27 inch iMac with 8 Gb Ram and 1 Tb Rom.

Everytime, after about three weeks working with Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (all latest versions), solely or together, my Hdd-Data is completely filled up, from 1.2 Gb to 980 Gb!

It takes my iMac three days to empty all logs before I can work again. What you see in this screenshot is the result of two days work.

I us one external SSD for saving my work and another one for running my Progamms.

I would like to replace my old iMac for a new one, but don't trust the Adobe-programms anymore .... 

What is causing this very frustrating problem? 

Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 21.22.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution? I have barely anything saved to my laptop since it's all saved to dropbox and still illustrator is filling up my storage. I currently have 63 gib available out of 200. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using Adobe software.
There's yer trouble.

Expensive, fickle, heavy on resources and absolutely zero customer service whatsoever. And yet we keep shelling out more and more each year. lol. We're dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oof. I thought it was just me. My experience with the customer support team was brutal. I chatted in, and the first agent told me she had to transfer me to the tech team (nothing about my issues was technical). The tech team joined the chat and told me that he had to send me to the Photoshop/illustrator team, I finally made it to the correct team and... wait for it... the agent disconnected the chat without even hearing my issue. And my question is still unanswered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SchuManji  schrieb:

And my question is still unanswered.

So: what is your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines