• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator keeps freezing then becoming unresponsive indefinitely whilst using the brush tool

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the most up to date version of Illustrator on a PC that has above the recommended (not just minimum) requirements to run it on windows 11 that is also fully up to date. 

Whilst using the brush tool with a Surface Slim Pen 2 the program stops adding brush strokes and freezes for it to then become unresponsive. No matter how many times I restart Illustrator or my PC the problem continues to happen with seemingly random timeframes. 

Any help on this would be great as digital artworking and drawing is something I need to do consistanty.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which brush tool are you using and which brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's the default settings on the adobe paintbrush tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you have for a graphics card (GPU)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia RTX 3050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @KingJimTed,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind performing a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers for the NVIDIA RTX 3050 and the Intel iGPU (if applicable), rebooting your computer, and relaunching Illustrator to check if it helps?

Also, try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't be either of these issues. The GPU performs fine in other tasks. I can play modern intensive games without any drop in performance. Illustrator works fine when doing anything other than using the pen on the screen with the brush tool. Doing what you've said above is time consuming and means that I wouldn't be able to use my laptop during the process which I need to work. 

To me the problem seems more like a bug or miscommunication between the software and hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like you have a choice - either try the recommended solutions or continue to have issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines