• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator links missing every time

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open an Illustrator file, I get an error that it can't find my links and I have to re-link all of my images. Why is this happening, when I haven't moved either the linked image or the Illustrator file? Even if I save my Illustrator file, then open it right back up this happens.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all the people explaining that the AI file must be in the same folder as images: The feature is lacking and it's normal behaviour is corrupt. If AI can't keep links with paths that are in different folders then why give us this option at first. It's a bug that needs to be fixed on Adobe's side. This isn't rocket sience, the linked files can be read anytime if following the path that is assigned when placing the image in the folder.

This makes Illustrator less professional in my opinion and tedious to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, why aren't they fixint it, it's not hard. Makes it impossible to collabrate on work between mac and PC machines.. oh wait, that could be the reason..snap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue with illustrator when switching between a desktop and laptop that both use onedrive. It always asked to relink the missing files despite having the same location path/address. Never had this issue until recently (past month or so). It's a real pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to at least be able to bulk select all instances of a linked image and bulk relink. Not even that works anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ina similar situation, I do collage art and have more than one instance of the same file, and I have to relink every instance of it, so time-consuming, it's infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an ancient thread. But as it has been woken-up recently, please find here my answer:

• Links work in Illustrator, as documented and as they should.
  • If they do not work, and the paths are OK, you should definitely look at OS or hardware issues. If your assets are located on a network path, you should check if that network device is available and does not need first to establish the connection. Illustrator asks the OS for the asset. If the OS returns an error, Illustrator supposes that the asset is not there. It won't retest seconds later.
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines