• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Might Consider a Name Change...Seriously.

Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

In all honesty I don't use Illustrator very often I'm mostly a pixel person (PSD/AE). I have to admit though more and more I'm seeing "Ai" used over and over and I can't tell if the person in the creative blog is posting something regarding Adobe Illustrator or Artificial Intelligence. I don't think AI is going anywhere and I don't think Adobe will have the ability to claim copyright infringement, so I think a name change might be in order.

The lastest message in my email box: "Workshop: New Ai Tools for Video". So which is it? I had to click through 3 screens and still was given no answer, but since automation became the so subject matter I think it's probably the latter.

Regardless, the definitioin is losing clarity.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can mostly discern it by context. Illustrator has never played a role in video editing workflows (as a video tool), so that might give you an indication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's Ai VS A.I.

Imaginerie_0-1678357252702.png

if anything, the people talking about artificial intelligence would be graced to learn that an acronym has to be written a certain way in order to be intelligible.
I don't know why Adobe decided to shorten Adobe Illustrator with a lower case i, maybe that was to distinguish it from Artificial intelligence? The term is not novel by any means (1955 apparently, so Illustrator wasn't even an idea)
https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/history-artificial-intelligence/https://www.forbes.com/sites...

Pedantry, I hear you say! 🤣
Still, If I were Adobe, I wouldn't budge ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually agree with you. It's the best way culturally to adapt in terms of "branding etymology".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to click through 3 screens and still was given no answer

Surely you can't blame that on Adobe.

I'd agree the developing overlap is unfortunate, but I have serious doubt Adobe will find it constitutes a business case to change the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We shall see...Mwahahaha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Illustrator has 35 years of established history. That's a really long history to consider when it comes to requesting a brand name change simply because the pop culture zeitgeist is obessing over "artificial intelligence."

By the way, Illustrator is a useful tool for video production. After Effects and Premiere Pro can import vector content from Illustrator and even put it into motion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby, just wanted to say that I meant it never played a role as a video tool per se. Of course it is great for creating assets that can be used in video production. I use it myself extensively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Literally zipping my .ai files so non-Illustrator users will stop assuming that I'm using A.I. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines