• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator: Moving a point along a path.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to move a point along a path without distorting the path.  Vectorscribe has a plugin but that requires a subscription.  I don't mnd paying a modest fee but a subscription seems to be a bit much.  Any ideas for alternatives or work arounds?  Thanking anyone in advance.  

TOPICS
Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Hi @SanFranJohn,

Thanks for reaching out. You may try the suggestion on this third-party community discussion (https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/93380/illustrator-move-anchor-points-while-preserving-angle).

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

SanFranJohn, Anshul,

As far as I can see, the first suggestion on StackExchange will disrupt the path by scaling the left part of it along with the scaling of the right part, because a crucial step is missing, and it can be done simpler.

The other two suggestions there involve messing with the path which must then be unmessed (which can go wrong).

For a shortening of a straight path segment (starting with the path deselected) by ClickDragging the end Anchor Point with the Direct Selection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SanFranJohn,

Thanks for reaching out. You may try the suggestion on this third-party community discussion (https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/93380/illustrator-move-anchor-points-while-preserv...).

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SanFranJohn, Anshul,

As far as I can see, the first suggestion on StackExchange will disrupt the path by scaling the left part of it along with the scaling of the right part, because a crucial step is missing, and it can be done simpler.

The other two suggestions there involve messing with the path which must then be unmessed (which can go wrong).

For a shortening of a straight path segment (starting with the path deselected) by ClickDragging the end Anchor Point with the Direct Selection Tool having Smart Guides on is enough (Smart Guides saying path).

For a lenghtening of a atraight path segment by moving the end Anchor Point, I would suggest the following (simpler) way, starting with the path deselected, Smart Guides also being your friends:

1) With the Direct Selection Tool Click the path segment to be changed to have only that selected;

2) With the Scale Tool, Click the starting Point of the path segment, then ClickDrag the end Anchor Point (Smart Guides saying uniform).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines