• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator No Longer Correctly Imports .dwgs with Visibility States.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I work with a lot of Autocad files and have always used Illustrator CC to open them and export them as a .wmf file for use in an in-hoise piece of software.

The cad blocks in the drawings are "Dynamic" and use visiblity states to hide and unhide certain views of my objects in different areas of the drawing i.e. top view/side view/ front view etc.

Until a recent re-install of Illustrator (v26.3.1) the .dwg would appear fine, and as-seen in AutoCAD, however, the newest version of Illustrator appears to completely ignore the fact there are visibility states and shows all views all at once over the top of itself.

For the life of me I can't seem to find a way around this so was helping you cleaver people might have a fix.

Things I have tried:

1: Saving as pdf and using that instead:  This creates a huge 8mg file rather than 200kb so thats no good.

2: Copying and pasting from the autocad screen to an new Illustrator file: This works but I have many hundreds of drawings I need to convert at once using a batch command so this is not an option I can use.

3. Saving the files in all previous autocad versions of dwg i.e. 2010/2004/2000 etc.: This make no difference.

4. saving as dxf: no difference

Any ideas?

This is the view in Autocad:

Michael248777270phx_0-1655301412616.png

However it opens in Illustrator like this:

Michael248777270phx_1-1655301514783.png

Any idea?

Michael

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael248777270phx,

We are sorry to hear about this & delayed response. Would you mind sharing the DWG file with us? We will check it at our end.

Also, please confirm if this is happening with some particular DWG or all? Do you recall in which version of Illustrator this was working as expected earlier?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies I replied in Outlook and it messed all that up.

Here is the link to the dwg file..

Thank you for looking into this,

The problem is happening with all my .dwgs unfortunately. I use dynamic blocks throughout all my cad blocks and the issue was never there on previous Illustrator versions.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/462563b1-01f9-4443-4ed6-e5a99ca737a6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file @Michael248777270phx. I am able to reproduce the issue on my end. Please allow me to check this with the product team and get back to you once I get a response from them.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your time & patience @Michael248777270phx. A bug is logged with the product team, and they are investigating the issue.

In the meantime, till this issue gets fixed, you may install v25.0 from the creative cloud in which this file import/ open correctly. Also, you can retain the latest v26.3.1 as well.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines