• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator not allowing drag and drop

Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not allowing me to drag and drop objects within a file. It is also not opening pdfs or .ai file through drag and drop. I get a black circular ring with a line in it, a similar shape that is shown when we try to draw in a locked layer. I restarted then ran illustrator as administrator , but failed. I tried again using compatibility modes for windows 8 and windows 7 but failed again. I am using CC 2017 version on windows 10-64 bit.

Is resetting the illustrator preferences the only workaround? Re-arranging the panesl and tools is cumbersome after resets of Indesign and illustrator.

I haven't reset them yet.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

I had the same issue and closed Illustrator then updated it to the latest version. I had mine set to auto-update so I turned that off and had it reinstall the latest version which fixed the issue. 

I also suspect that if you try to drag the image into a layer that is hidden then it will force the image to open in a separate window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

I had the same issue, and resetting preferences and such did nothing. I contacted Support, and they found I needed to update a graphics driver. The tech remotely installed the update, and now it works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to "drag and drop"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images in png format or jpeg format. Pdf files from a folder in my D drive. I dragged and dropped from various locations just in case a folder had some permissions messed up but it isn't like that. Illustrator doesn't allow drag and drop regardless of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it doesn't concern objects that are inside the file but rather stuff you want to place into the file from outside?

Can you instead File > Place them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause  wrote

So it doesn't concern objects that are inside the file but rather stuff you want to place into the file from outside?

Can you instead File > Place them?

Yes, that is working fine as usual. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post. But I want to fix drag and drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did drag and drop work previously?

Did you update anything? the system or Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did drag and drop work previously?

Did you update anything? the system or Illustrator?

Yes, drag and drop was working previously. I just did a restart after my system got hanged while working in another software. I was using my system daily and closing it through hibernate. It has been probably 10-12 days of using my PC in hibernate style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try some more restarts.

Software tends to hand when the system doesn't get restarted for weeks.

Also this might lead to preference corruption.

To just try if the preferences are the cause, you could rename the preferences folder. Illustrator will then create  a new one. If it then works, you know that the preferences got corrupted. But then you can still try and replace the new workspace settings by the old one.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try some more restarts.

Software tends to hand when the system doesn't get restarted for weeks.

Also this might lead to preference corruption.

To just try if the preferences are the cause, you could rename the preferences folder. Illustrator will then create  a new one. If it then works, you know that the preferences got corrupted. But then you can still try and replace the new workspace settings by the old one.

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Is there a way that I can reset the preferences but keep my workspace intact? The link you shared doesn't describe that trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I described: rename the folder and later try to replace the new workspace prefs file with the old one (hope that it isn't corrupted).

They are all separate files. Please take a look into the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not again!

I renamed the folder of preferences. Now Illustrator is crashing every time I start it. Running it in compatibility mode for windows 8 or  doesn't help either. I am in continuous loop for running diagnostic test . Now I'm in the same trouble as I was here in the last posts. Now reinstallation seems to be the only solution for me. Now I see another 45-50 minutes gone down the drain as I will uninstall and reinstall Illustrator to fix this.

Weird blacking out of illustrator menu items and buttons

Any other trick you have for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other trick you have for me?

Contact customer care.

contact-bumper

THey can log into your computer to sort things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to clean uninstall illustrator from the PC? Get rid of each and every trace of illustrator installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled illustrator and although the crash issue is gone, the drag and drop issue hasn't resolved yet. What can I do instead of contacting customer support ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can I do instead of contacting customer support ?

I don't know.

Why don't you want to contact them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi arjun,

We hope that the issue must have been solved by support team. If It is still not solved I would request you to please try following steps and share results.

• Please delete all preferences manually (This will delete all Illustrator preferences including workspace)
  1. Close Illustrator and other Adobe applications
  2. Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and Delete Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings and Adobe Illustrator .
  3. Launch Illustrator from Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Please do share your observations or if you have any further questions.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and closed Illustrator then updated it to the latest version. I had mine set to auto-update so I turned that off and had it reinstall the latest version which fixed the issue. 

I also suspect that if you try to drag the image into a layer that is hidden then it will force the image to open in a separate window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @nakittina

OMGosh! This was my issue. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you run illustrator as admin it wont work, you have to run it normally 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, and resetting preferences and such did nothing. I contacted Support, and they found I needed to update a graphics driver. The tech remotely installed the update, and now it works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update -- same issue a few weeks later, but the drivers were current. I contacted Adobe again and they fixed it remotely by going to Edit -- Preferences -- Performance and unchecking "GPU Performance." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines