• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator not recognising installed font

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a TT font Ami R, installed and am able to use it in all MS apps and Adobe Acrobat but Illustrator refuses to recognise it.  It has been specified for a logo and Illustrator's recalcitrancy is driving me nuts. I've tried some of the remedies suggested for people with similar issues, but nothing has helped.

Any bright ideas, anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from enterprise&teams>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes putting the font in a folder name Fonts inside the Illustrator applications folder helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Windows?

In that case: is the font installed "For all users"?

Is this Mac OS?

In that case: is the font installed in only one font folder (and not all of them)

Do you use font management? Is it compatible with Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you mention "TT Ami R" are you talking about the TypeType foundry? Nothing like "Ami" is listed among TypeType's library of fonts. I've heard of Amsi Pro, but that typeface was made by Stawix. Did you buy this typeface from a vendor such as MyFonts or Fonts.com? I'd make sure the font files are not corrupt.

Obviously the font files need to be correctly installed in the operating system. Some users will do things like try to drag font files into the Windows Fonts folder rather than select the font files and apply the "install" command from the fly-out menu.

Next issue, like Monica mentioned, are you using any font management software? Or do you have other graphics applications open and running at the same time with Illustrator? I've personally observed font conflicts if CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator are running at the same time on the same computer. Multiple styles of typefaces will disappear from the font menu in Illustrator. If I close both applications and re-launch Illustrator all the missing fonts return in Illustrator's font menu. CorelDRAW has some type-related bugs that have persisted in the application for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

The font Ami R is a True Type Font, and it is installed on my (Win 10) system and the font file in the system is C:\\WINDOWS\FONTS\HMKMAMY.TFF

So as you can see, it is correctly installed into my system and is not corrupted. As stated in my original post. the font is available in all installed Microsoft apps, as well as Adobe Acrobat, all my CAD programs as well as Corel PaintShop Pro, but not in Illustrator.  So I don’t understand how it can be available in one Adobe product, Acrobat, and not in Illustrator.

So any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for all your input to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At first I thought the "Ami R" font could be from the TypeType company because all of their font packages are named with a "TT" up front, such as TT Supermolot Neue, TT Octosquares, TT Cometus, etc.

When I try web searching "Ami R Font" the query returns links to several free fonts web sites. I don't get any hits from commercial web sites like MyFonts or Fonts.com. I assume you may have downloaded the Ami R font from one of those free fonts places, right? If that the case then I'm still thinking the font file has a technical problem that's causing Illustrator to reject it. It is pretty common for free/open source fonts to have technical problems. Sometimes commercially sold fonts have problems too. I check my account at MyFonts every now and then for technical updates to type families I've purchased. Free fonts aren't held to the same standards as commercial foundry fonts.

I've seen it before where Illustrator refuses to load a typeface that seems to work in another application. Lately I've seen issues with some typefaces downloaded from the Google Fonts web site. They work alright in Adobe Illustrator, but CorelDRAW refuses to load them properly. They'll either preview in the font menu looking like default Arial. Or when I try applying the font to a text object the target text object get styled with Arial instead. I've been able to get around this problem a few times by simply downloading another copy from Google Fonts. Fonts do get technical updates from time to time. I'll get lucky and download a newer version that works better. Some of Google's fonts are also hosted on the Adobe Fonts service, so that has been another work-around. I had to sync Open Sans from Adobe Fonts for one project because the font files I had from Google's site didn't work properly. 

In the case of this Ami R font file, I would suggest trying to download versions of it from other rival free fonts sites. It's possible one of those sites may have a version that will load in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines