Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator opens PDF with corrupted characters

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When i open a PDF in Illustrator the characters become corrupted. It looks like "#D)9! etc.

Apples preview and Acrobat shows the text right. But when opened in illustrator everything is wrong. The font I use is plain Arial.

Viktor

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

I experience the same issue. My workaround is to open the pdf in Acrobat and save it as eps. Illustrator (CS6 in my case) will open the eps file and the text will display correctly.

My experience is consistent with Larry Schneider's answer in that my problem documents all come from MS Office using Calibri(Theme Body).

I routinely use Illustrator to tidy up plots of scientific data which I originally create by printing and saving to pdf in other apps (mainly Kaleidagraph and Omnigraffle) and I have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Thanks hunterk53973462, I had the same issues "KRVA" described with a graph that was exported to pdf. I usually open in Illustrator to manipulate it. Sometimes the text turns into unreadable characters. Opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro, under Menu > Save As Other > Archivable PDF/A. Opened it with Illustrator retained readable text. I noticed one outlined line of text and another line of text was individually broken up into individual characters but the rest of the text was intact. Yeah!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best solution EVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert original PDF to PDF/A. Open the PDF/A file in Illustrator. A dialogue box should now pop-up noting missing font (in my case, Ariel). Change the font to an Adobe font (in my case the Ariel with the Adobe symbol next to it). You should now able able to edit the PDF in Illustrator without the strange corrupted character symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks hunterk53973462, I had the same issues "KRVA" described with a graph that was exported to pdf. I usually open in Illustrator to manipulate it. Sometimes the text turns into unreadable characters. Opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro, under Menu > Save As Other > Archivable PDF/A. Opened it with Illustrator retained readable text. I noticed one outlined line of text and another line of text was individually broken up into individual characters but the rest of the text was intact. Yeah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It worked perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS DID IT! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! This worked perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! Save as other > archivable. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the same issue, when I tried to open an Excel-generated PDF in Adobe illustrator. After reading all the posts here and trying here and there, I figured a way out: instead of open, but place your pdf file; after embedding into AI, then you will retain all the original contents, and edit as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have a slightly different problem with the same results:  I am sent a floor plan by a client as a pdf.  I then take that floor plan and open it in Illustrator in order to eliminate the portions of the drawing that I don't need and reduce it to fit on a sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.  I then delete the room numbers and sq. footage that came on the drawing and use Arial, in Illustrator, to number the rooms and add a building name and address to the plan.  Once I do that, the plan is put into Dropbox.  I export the plan to Goodnotes when I need to markup the floor plan and then export it back to Dropbox.  However, in the last few days (and I have been doing this for about 5 years with no problems), when I open the floor plan in Illustrator CS6, the text is corrupted.  Yes, it opens fine in Acrobat.  I've read the entire thread, but most of you have created a spreadsheet or presentation in something else...maybe something Microsoft.  This isn't.

I am using Illustrator CS6, Goodnotes 5 and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.23.  I tried saving a text test that I created in Illustrator, put it into Dropbox and opened it in Acrobat.  I used the Save as Other option and selected the Archiveable PDF.  Then opened it in Illustrator and it was corrupted.  This is really the only thing I use Illustrator for...I don't draw my own things and, therefore, am conversant only as far as I use the program.  Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am using Illustrator CS6, Goodnotes 5 and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.23.  I tried saving a text test that I created in Illustrator, put it into Dropbox and opened it in Acrobat.  I used the Save as Other option and selected the Archiveable PDF.  Then opened it in Illustrator and it was corrupted.  This is really the only thing I use Illustrator for...I don't draw my own things and, therefore, am conversant only as far as I use the program.  Please help!"

illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor. Your workflow doesn't sound like a recommended procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you rock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 2022. Thankfully I cant trust Affinity Publisher to pull through with a multipage PDF with charts and graphs that I need to later be able to edit the text (without going back to the MS suite, export, place, etc.).

Since this opens near flawlessly in Affinity Publisher, looks like the default answer of blaming Microsoft is no longer valid, as some have noted. Your mileage may vary but this workflow works for me on macOS 12.3, Affinity Publisher 1.10.4, both on Apple silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread and the solution with Calibri originated in 2013. Affinity Designer came into existence in 2014.

Since then there have been a couple of versions of both Illustrator and Office.

Has been a long time that I have seen the Calibri issue. Tried to reproduce it a few times more recently, but couldn't. This might also be caused by my version of the font (which might have changed as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, in 2022, I have the latest version of all software platforms mentioned in this thread and it's an issue on my machine when opening the PDF generated from MS apps and then imported into 26. The same PDF opened in Affinity Publisher had zero issues with the text.

I checked with another person on an Intel Mac with macOS 10.14 and the issues still exist as well.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue in 2024. I was able to use Adobe InDesign to fix the issue by linking the pdf on a page and then exported a new pdf, setting the pdf output to my liking. Then I was able to open the resulting pdf in Adobe Illustrator and the text was back to readable characters. (note that the correct fonts must be loaded in your system or in Adobe Creative Suite for it to retain typesytles.) My theory is that the pdf was set to "Read Only" and when exporting from InDesign it reformated in such a way to re-establish editability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines