• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator paintbrush tool won't stay in basic linetype it keeps switching back to the previous one

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pen tool wont stop changing itself from basic line and its stopping me from being able to do my project. every time i change it it switches back to the previous chosen. completely useless in this state. god damn annoying

Message was edited by: Srishti Bali

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Have you set up the setting in the Appearance panel ? Turned off "New art has basic appearance"?

That's important.

Also: What exactly do you want the artwork to look like?

And then: In Illustrator a stroke or a brush are attributes of a path. They can be applied and changed later on.

But: the brush tool saves everything you do with your stylus into the path. This only makes sense with a brush. Only then you can also see it. That's just how the tool works. You don't like how the tool works? Make a fe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

replying yet another set of years later to state that ive always used the illustrator brush, and always had the basic stroke applied. no crazy effects, no crazy patterns, it was just drawing a simple vector line. well when i was playing around with it and saw a crazy default texture for the brush (leather seam goes crazy) well now i cant go back to using the brush with a normal basic line stroke. using the pencil now, easy "fix", but just saying that what these guys are having issues with are real and valid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The brush tool cannot work without a brush. Simple as that. The brush tool saves information of the pressure and other options used with your graphic tablet into the path. If you do not need that, then do not use the brush tool, but use the pencil tool. 

"Basic" is not a brush. It deletes the brush from the stroke. You could argue that it's badly named and I wouldn't protest, but that's what it is. 

If you want to make a feature request, please do so over there: https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, but besides selecting the 'basic' brush stroke, also be sure to select a tip:

Lizayra5E3C_0-1608459863209.png

As you can see I have selected both the basic brush, as well as the small tip at the top left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Basic" is not a brush, also "Standard" isn't. Instead it deletes the brush from the stroke.

You cannot apply 2 brushes to one stroke.

The small brush tip is a calligraphy brush. And since it's the first brush in the brushes panel, Illustrator will use it anyway unless you select a different one when working with the brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have got to be the single worst "help" professional I've ever graced online.

"Basic" IS A BRUSH. You didn't bother with translating the previous image post but that LITERALLY SAYS BASIC. 

We are selecting a DIFFERENT BRUSH called Charcoal, why does it not stay as Charcoal. That's the problem. Jeez, if you've been "helping" Adobe for years no wonder their customer support has gone to trash since Flash died.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Basic" is not a brush. It deletes the brush from the stroke.

"Basic" is a terrible name for that thing and maybe it is not well thought out User Interface design, but there we are stuck with it. And if you don't believe me, please do ask the developers. You can post a bug report over there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

And also: I am not staff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg, thank you so much for mentioning this! I was only selecting ''Basic'' and I couldn't understand why it wasn't working. *sighs*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still so annoying, years later. Every couple of years I'll change computers and spend an hour trying to find that damn box to maintain appearance of my pen strokes. Why is it burried as far away as possible? And how could someone even draw without setting that to maintain appearance? I honestly can't imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are situations where you really don't want your objects to have the same appearance as the previous object. Like, when you have a very complex 3D & material applied which can take ages to render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough! I don't do anything in 3d. I do think it would be better placed in the main preferences panel so it's easier to find. But I won't think about it now for the next few years. (I'm sure I'll be back to this thread in about 2025 asking where to find it again. 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines