• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Question about moving images within a JPEG

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Illustrator in my life and have a question about moving an image from a JPEG to create a different image. In this case it is a cloud. For some reason it's not letting me extract or copy that cloud and instead drags the entire image. I've tried the "direct selection tool" but it's still not working. Any quick advice? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A JPEG can be split into its parts using Photoshop. Or in Illustrator you can crop it. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/crop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If editing a JPEG, you need to be using Photoshop, not Illustrator.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're working entirely with images, use Photoshop.

If you need to do this in Illustrator for some reason, you might want to draw a path around the element you need and use Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the image in question. I basically need to extract a cloud and place it into a larger document I'm creating in InDesign. I've tried Illustrator (as they recommended) and Photoshop but can't figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who recommended Illustrator? Did they say why? Is this image available in formats other than JPEG?

In Photoshop you might use the Magic Wand, or quick selection tool, or any one of several methods of creating a marquee around an area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "they" recommended Illustrator, but you have a JPEG: are you sure that you downloaded the correct file from the clipart company? It is a clipart, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My colleague said he didn't know it was a JPEG file lol. That solves that issue. Now I just need to save the image without a white background to insert it into InDesign (getting closer). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines