Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator refuses to save as PDF, stuck on"Reading EPS File"

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator CC on macOS, everything up to date. When I try to save a large .ai file as a PDF, I get a progress bar saying "Reading EPS File" and a spinning wheel, and the process never completes. I eventually have to force kill Illustrator. If I try to save as EPS, I get an error message "Can't save the illustration. Can't print the illustration". I deleted every layer until it would agree to save, and it seems to be the base image it doesn't like, a ~100MB JPG file. I tried resizing it to see if Illustrator liked that better but the result is the same.

I searched for similar issues and some people reported issues with fonts and with OOBE but no solution worked. I also restarted computer, Illustrator and Creative Cloud, without any luck.

I am honestly at a loss of how to export my file for printing. Any suggestion would be extremely welcome.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Thanks for the suggestion. Resaving didn't do much, but I resized the image down in 1000px increments, starting at 33,000px wide. It suddenly worked as I got below 25,000px. Not too sure why, but I'll take it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the JPG is 100 MB  on your harddisk?

That means it is even larger when uncompressed.

Does it really need to be that large?

What else is in the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. The file goes to an A0 print at 400ppi, so the base image needs to be of a really large resolution. I have dozens of those files, some with even larger files, and have never had issues saving as PDF before.

The file contains some type and a large number of paths. If I delete the base layer, though, it saves the PDF with all the other elements in seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was different when you were still able to save them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I have been trying to figure out, and I honestly have no idea. This is the first time I have tried to save this particular file to PDF, but I have done other with even larger base files without any issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large does Photoshop say that the jpeg file is when opened? And what resolution? A 100MB jpeg file is very large even for a best quality jpeg at A0 size. What are the compression settings for the PDF file. And is it saved with Illustrator editability? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

If it (still) fails without Illustrator editability, I believe it can be worth trying to recreate the ailing base image, maybe by running it through Photoshop and resaving or something, and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Resaving didn't do much, but I resized the image down in 1000px increments, starting at 33,000px wide. It suddenly worked as I got below 25,000px. Not too sure why, but I'll take it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Alex, and thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines