Illustrator update from 26.1 to 26.2.1

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try not to seeth with this post but I have spent the last three days (continuing next week) rebuilding my mac because this UPDATE made my important plug-ins stop working.  These are important becasue they are used on every job I work on, not because I'm partial to them.

Everything I did to try to fix the problem failed and I was presented with a rebuild in order to get back to AI 26.1.  I wouldn't have been surprised had this been an UPGRADE but is wasn't.  (FYI for the techies who want to second-guess my three day time line: yes, three days, becasue I was also trying to get some work out while it was doing it's business.  And, since I still don't have everything back in place, yes, it will go into next week.)

So, I suggest to anyone considering this update to check with the developers of any plug-ins and proceed cautiously.  Apparently or possibly, Adobe or my provider or both didn't do an adequate job of making sure everything worked before the release.

Okay, now I'm going to be unfriendly.  I also, recently, had an issue with a Photoshop update.  My answer to that problem was to update the OS and it worked out.  However, here's where I want to go: an update is an update.  These should not be so different as to alter how a computer system needs to be set up in order to run properly.  UPGRADES are the one which make significant changes and need to be considered before using.  I should not have had to update the OS.  I should not have lost all functionality on my plug-ins.  Since I have, twice within eight weeks now, I question whether or not Adobe coders are competent enough for the job.  I also take issue that it seems Adobe "shoves" these updates at us.  I'd like to tell Creative Cloud to go to sleeeeeep on certain updates or upgrades instead of continually being reminded that it's there.  Let me do some work!  I'll find you when I'm ready.  Oh, yah.  And I pay you for the priveledge of these "inconveniences".  Please.

Okay.  I've spouted.  Thank you all and I hope this helps someone somewhere.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not trying to deflect your post, but wanted to give you some context and where some of your rightfully deserved seething should go.

1. You shouldn't have to do a rebuild because of an Adobe update. You can downgrade your install using the CC desktop app. Who 's recommendation was it to rebuild?

2. You are correct that you should check with plugin manufacturers prior to any update. Adobe is not responsible for making sure the app works with 3rd party plugins. It's the plugin manufacturer to update. The tail does not wag the dog.

3. The issue you noted about PS I'm assuming was to upgrade to Monterey - there were several threads on here about this. Apple had updates to Big Sur OS which negatively affected a lot of software, including printers and Adobe and Apple's solution was to upgrade to Monterey which you noted fixed the issue. This wasn't an issue with Adobe. 

Some things that can help are to deactivate auto updates in your CC app if you haven't already and slow down with the upgrades. As you pointed out, I would do my homework with any critical plugins, etc. prior to pulling the trigger.

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also take issue that it seems Adobe "shoves" these updates at us.  I'd like to tell Creative Cloud to go to sleeeeeep on certain updates or upgrades instead of continually being reminded that it's there.  Let me do some work!  I'll find you when I'm ready. 

By prep@print-flex.com

Definitely turn off auto-updates, and don't let the Creative Cloud desktop app delete old software before you're ready. I have also turned down notificiations to an absolute minimum (or off). The desktop app does have an odd way of stealing focus in macOS, though...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines